Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MMA Gyms...

Default MMA Gyms...

Hello there, I'm new here, not quite sure if i'm posting this in the correct section. Whilst i'm here though, Im Danny and im nearly 18.

I Live in Stoke-On-Trent (Staffordshire) and i'm looking for a Mixed Martial Arts gym.

Any help would be appriciated.

Danny

We teach Jeet Kune Do, Thai Kickboxing, Brazilian Jiu-jitsu and Wrestling. I wouldn't say I was a strict MMA guy because I train and teach all of these arts seperately. I will NOT let you fight MMA until you have 5 years training in stand-up with me and you are at least a Purple belt in BJJ. Like it or not, that is just the way I do it. Not trying to mess you around with the promise that you will be a Master in 6 months! You can compete kickboxing, BJJ, sub-grappling, freestyle wrestling etc, no probs. If you want to take a look at what I do then pop in.

Impact Fighting Arts, 165-167 High Street, Tunstall, Stoke-on-Trent

For strict Muay Thai, you cant go wrong with John Steele's Gym in Tunstall. Awesome Thai boxer.

Hope that helps.

Simon McGovern.
    Last edited by simonjkd; 10-04-2012 at 12:18 AM.

5 Years standup???
    www.manchester-mma.com

I have given him plenty of other gyms to train at. Don't like it, dont train with me. Simple dude!

Simon.

does that include amatur mma.
    STUART WELLS 2-2-0

5 years Stand up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    www.mmafactory.co.uk - Use discount code cagewarriors for 10% off your order

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I came on here to ask about MMA gyms in Staffordshire/South Derbyshire and this thread seemed to almost have it covered! I live out near Rugeley, but I am willing to travel for good training. I have a few questions for Simon McGovern, if I may, but I would be interested in anyone's thoughts.

First of all, do you just teach private lessons at the McGovern Academy? I saw the listing on the Impact Martial Arts, and I am not sure I could afford one to one tuition! I am really determined to be the best all round fighter I can be, and would like to compete in various disciplines and eventually MMA, but I am not that confident and I think a careful approach like you outline would suit me. I would be really interested in talking to you about it some more.

As for the other gym's mentioned, does anyone have any more information about any fighters they have trained and how good they are at teaching beginners like myself? And could anyone PM me some contact details? Is Gee Oakes' gym the one that trains at Elite 2000?

Cheers for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by AVI4 View Post
    5 Years standup???
    Purple belt BJJ? lol! Okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiled Gooner View Post
    Sorry to bump an old thread, but I came on here to ask about MMA gyms in Staffordshire/South Derbyshire and this thread seemed to almost have it covered! I live out near Rugeley, but I am willing to travel for good training. I have a few questions for Simon McGovern, if I may, but I would be interested in anyone's thoughts.

First of all, do you just teach private lessons at the McGovern Academy? I saw the listing on the Impact Martial Arts, and I am not sure I could afford one to one tuition! I am really determined to be the best all round fighter I can be, and would like to compete in various disciplines and eventually MMA, but I am not that confident and I think a careful approach like you outline would suit me. I would be really interested in talking to you about it some more.

As for the other gym's mentioned, does anyone have any more information about any fighters they have trained and how good they are at teaching beginners like myself? And could anyone PM me some contact details? Is Gee Oakes' gym the one that trains at Elite 2000?

Cheers for your help.
    If you live near Rugeley then Team Supreme in Cannock aren't far from you, they have Paul Taylor, Vaughan Harvey, Harvey Harra, Dan Korbely, Eugene Fadiora etc, It's a great place to train

Ross Pointon's gym in stoke is supposed to be pretty good and there's the grindhouse in Burton

"I I will NOT let you fight MMA until you have 5 years training in stand-up with me and you are at least a Purple belt in BJJ"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA