Thread: Do you agree?

Default Do you agree?

The more and mroe mma becomes a sport and no longer is mma and vale tudo, the less brazilian fighting is needed?

Brazilian fighting styles like Bjj and Luta Livre, chute boxe, and other highly effective brazilian styles where developed in real fights (no faggots)
    These days people actully are more safe in turtle position than under mount.

Imagine giving you back under real vale tudo rules....All i can say is goalllllllllllllllll
    Last edited by Duchman; 23-03-2009 at 01:18 PM.
    Insert whiny message

I know what you mean....

I've always have been (and always will be) a fan of the old school Vale Tudo fighting.... And I mean proper Vale Tudo - with only rules being no eye gouges and biting.

Pride was pretty close though with the soccer kicks and stomps but now that's gone....

ps. The best Vale Tudo event I've ever seen is Brazilian Vale Tudo 6 - the one where Pele and Macaco have their famous fight - great event and great fights - no matter how many times I've seen it I never tire of it...

Quote Originally Posted by Jogs D View Post
    ps. The best Vale Tudo event I've ever seen is Brazilian Vale Tudo 6 - the one where Pele and Macaco have their famous fight - great event and great fights - no matter how many times I've seen it I never tire of it...
    also known as "extreme fighting 6"?
    that event was awesome!
    PROFESSIONAL MMA SHIT.
    LIKES FREE STUFF.
    GIVE ME MONEY.

yh ditto that, watch it again and again. Just to add we get taught vale tudo and chute boxing but not allowed to spar it due to rules its like our ''real approach'' side of things in class . defending yourself on the street side of fighting our tutor teaches.

This thread is of interest to me.
    There are definate differences in MMA and the old Vale Tudo
    No longer playing World of Warcraft. Goodbye fond memories
    FUCK THE ALLIANCE

It depends on how brutal you like your combat sports to be.

If you want it to survive and to flourish, then it must have rules in place to minimise the harm that fighters may inflict on each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post
    It depends on how brutal you like your combat sports to be.

If you want it to survive and to flourish, then it must have rules in place to minimise the harm that fighters may inflict on each other.
    The question though is where do you draw the line, who makes those rules.

HeadButts and elbows help Wrestlers like Mark Coleman who have little striking power but can get top control.

Footstomps, Soccerball kicks, and flying footstomps help Strikers and hurt BJJ guys who like to be in guard.

Being allowed to use a GI or long pants also changes things and advantages certain disciplines over others.

I enjoy having different orgs and rules (like with Pride and UFC) because then you are exposed to different aspects of self defense and martial arts and can see what works and what doesn't work.

If there are unified rules the danger is that MMA practitioners may gain a false sense of security between what works under those rules and what works in the street/ self defense situation.

Does it for us **flex** piratebrido's Avatar

My turtle is designed for the street. It's bullet proof.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceLeeMMAfighting.net View Post
    If there are unified rules the danger is that MMA practitioners may gain a false sense of security between what works under those rules and what works in the street/ self defense situation.
    Unless the rules were changed drastically MMA is always going to be vastly superior to anything else for streetfighting.

This makes the false assumption that anyone cares about MMA's application in streetfights anyway.

The positions which you can get away with in MMA which would be bad on "teh streets" are all losing positions anyway, if you end up in them you are the worse fighter imo.

As for the original post, I don't see MMA becoming "more and more" a sport... what changes have there been since the intial set of "unified rules"? To have a sport you have to have rules to protect the fighters, otherwise it wouldn't attract as many skilled athletes. Submission grappling will always be a necessity for MMA.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by BruceLeeMMAfighting.net View Post
    Well Bruce, it seems like you came to the right place if youre looking for info on what works on 'the streets'.
    This forums head honcho of street fighting 'Rob Twat' has already given his opinion so no-one elses opinion counts.
    Alright baldy, im back!