Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Catch Wrestling v BJJ

Default Catch Wrestling v BJJ

Hello all, just wanted to get your views on the two different styles and how you think they match up? Ive been looking at catch wrestling and some of their techniques and the style seems to be alot different from the bjj guys.
    Any thoughts?

lol........

catch wrestling is good. only 99 procent of the whole who claim to be catch wrestlers are fake. ir just submission grapplers claiming to be catch wrestlers.
    Insert whiny message

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVNvxh0WXVs this set is very good on real catch
    Insert whiny message

i train BJJ for 7 years but i think catch got some nice moves

Catch Wrestling.

Never heard of it, but it looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by Duchman View Post
    lol........

catch wrestling is good. only 99 procent of the whole who claim to be catch wrestlers are fake. ir just submission grapplers claiming to be catch wrestlers.
    Ditto what he said.

A personal gripe is that a lot of "Catch Wrestling" seems to be taught at the moment by showing a move incorrectly and ineffectively then wrongly claiming that's how "Jiu Jitsu" guys do it. Then they do it correctly with a slight modification and put it on hard and hold it on to show how much more effective Catch Wrestling is. Not saying this is all Catch, just how a lot of the instructional material out there is delivered in my experience.

Because I train and teach no-gi I have incorporated some Catch Wrestling in to my game, sometimes it's full moves, sometimes just little tweaks or ideas.

IMO the vs. argument is pointless. Learn from both, it's all grappling.

Nathan
    Head Coach at Leicester Shootfighters
    Sponsored by Caged Steel and Empire Fight Shop

I dont even know of any catch wrestlers, I know Josh Barnett claims to do catch but thats pretty much BS. his grappling is bjj.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkne$s View Post
    I dont even know of any catch wrestlers, I know Josh Barnett claims to do catch but thats pretty much BS. his grappling is bjj.
    Actually it is Catch. Most of the wrestlers from Japan (including Matt Hume/Josh Barnett/Ken Shamrock/Bas Rutten/Sakuraba) learned Catch from Billy Robinson and Karl Gotch of Billy Riley's SnakePit in Lancashire.

Most Catch Wrestling in Japan and NCAA Wrestling in the US can trace their roots back to Lancashire/UK Catch.
    Last edited by BruceLeeMMAfighting.net; 29-03-2009 at 04:32 AM.

Barnett was active before going to Japan and he trains/ed with Erik Paulson who is a bjj blackbelt no?