Thread: Ufc 12

Default Ufc 12

Just re-watching the original UFC's and laughing at the "quality" of commentators back then.

Vitor Belfort vs Scott Ferrozo

"Speed vs Size is what this comes down to"

"It doesn't really matter, I mean, Roy Jones Jnr ain't gonna knock out Mike Tyson"

12 seconds later?....proof that the commentators, like the competitors, have advanced greatly since then.

Thank Christ for the modern age of MMA

lol

the commentary has evolved a long way, i recall some videos of the very first UFC commentator and he didn't seem to know why he was there, who anyone was or really what kind of sport he was supposed to be calling lol

here's a recent article about mma commentary teams, i think they make good points

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles...mma-badd-16887
    The mind of the believer stagnates. It fails to grow outward into an unlimited, infinite universe.

A lot of it's actually a little difficult to watch because of the terrible knowledge of the commentators....

....what the hell happened to Jeff Blatnik?

My favourite is on one of the Night of Samurai tapes when the two commentators explain that although none of the fighters competing that night seem to know them, there are actually chokes that you can put on with their legs. It seems odd today to think that you could compete in MMA without knowing something as simple as a triangle
    Any opinions I express on this forum are entirely personal opinions and it should not be assumed that they reflect the official view of any organisations I am connected with

blatnik and shamrock were never seen as next level commentators and zuffa got rid of them first chance they got. I know blatnik still does the odd show in california from time to time.
    Sherdog.com - The number one MMA site on the web today!

It was actually Tank Abbott who said that line about how RJJ aren't gonna KO Tyson, of course the best bit is Belfort's next fight was taking Tank out in under a minute.

As it was a fighter commerntator hardly fair to bash the commentators of the era, I recall a large olympic wrestler who the UFC had for many of the first shows being quite good & knowledgable but can't think of his name

Quote Originally Posted by moogie101 View Post
    It was actually Tank Abbott who said that line about how RJJ aren't gonna KO Tyson, of course the best bit is Belfort's next fight was taking Tank out in under a minute.

As it was a fighter commerntator hardly fair to bash the commentators of the era, I recall a large olympic wrestler who the UFC had for many of the first shows being quite good & knowledgable but can't think of his name
    True, but the general quality of commentating overall wasn't exactly up to the standard of Rogan and Goldberg....well, maybe Goldberg; but certainly not Rogan!

Quote Originally Posted by moogie101 View Post

Good point. The fact that there were fighters who didn't know basic chokes shows how far the sport has evolved
    Any opinions I express on this forum are entirely personal opinions and it should not be assumed that they reflect the official view of any organisations I am connected with

The commentary that makes me laugh is Lee Murray vs Anderson Silva - its great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxSWN...om=PL&index=13