Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Instructionals

Hybrid View

Default Instructionals

There isn't a thread on this new forum about it so I may aswell be the first.

what are the best websites, books and videos for tips and improving your game?

reviews of stuff welcome.

Rodrigo Medeiros Favourite Submissions DVD.

I'm only a blue belt, so still a relative beginner. So keeping that in mind, these are the sets I've found useful so far, grouped by the levels I think they're best suited for:

For beginners:

Blue Belt Requirements (my review here): a superb summary of the fundamental techniques and principles of Brazilian jiu jitsu. Roy Dean is both eloquent and thorough, walking you through each technique while emphasising important details, before repeating the movement from multiple angles. This should be the first instructional DVD you buy.

After that:

Cesar Gracie (my review here): this will provide you with some progression from the fundamentals you'll learn from Roy Dean, as well as reviewing those same basics. He is especially good on offensive combinations, rounding out the material from Dean's DVD. Its a bit older, dating back to 1999, but still an excellent piece of work: Cesar has a very detailed style, taking great care to talk you through everything he does.

You could also try:

Renzo/Kukuk (my review here): this hasn't stood up as well as Cesar Gracie's offering, originally hitting the market way back in 1994. Still, Renzo and Kukuk's teaching is great, made even more accomplished by coupling it with vale tudo footage, showing you the application under pressure. It is also cheap: for example, you can currently pick it up here for $42, which is very worth it considering you get five hours of instruction. One thing to keep in mind is that this does look dated when it comes to guard passing and takedowns: that last forty minutes should be taken with a very large pinch of salt.

Pedro Carvalho (my review here): similarly to Renzo/Kukuk, this one shows its age (from 1996), but again much of the material remains relevant. Carvalho has some silly stuff in there, like gun defence, but like Cesar Gracie, he also links up some handy attacking combinations. Fast-paced teaching style, so could be to your taste if you like lots of techniques in a short space of time without too much talking (which is also true of Renzo/Kukuk). As with all the older DVDs, this can be found cheap.

Around blue belt:

Jiu Jitsu Revolution (my review here): Saulo's first set is fantastic. He is meticulously detailed, taking a concept-heavy approach to all the major positions in BJJ. Multiple angles and methodical progression mean this DVD is perfect for refining your understanding of the sport, with an entire game laid out over the course of six hours.

However, I would not recommend this as your first purchase (I'd continue to suggest Roy Dean for the absolute beginner). There is an implicit assumption throughout these DVDs that you already understand the fundamentals: what Saulo presents are modifications, improvements and alternatives to those basics. Therefore I'd suggest that this works best for those who have recently got their blue belt, or are fast approaching that level.

More reviews here.

Any of Marcelo Garcia's sets are great.

I am a fan of ALL the tapes i've seen by Michael Jen, Roy Harris, Levo, Darryl Gholar and SBGi.

I'd particularly recommend Levo's Guard series, Jen's Passing The Guard tapes and Functional JKD Volume 2.

Also, if you're prepared to wade through the crap, YouTube is an excellent resource.

I've got Eddie Bravo's book and that is ok, but I'm not too keen on books as a learning tool for the ground myself.

Demien Maia's stuff is really good.

Hi

I think that the Ribero Jiu Jitsu University is a very good book I am white belt // and it is great for me and for higher belts as well. Also the Machado discs have been good.

slideyfoot, your post was very informative and laid out well. You should write a book and/Or dictionary.

I got reviews on www.bjj.eu.com/forum in the fighting photographer zone forum

F