Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ground Control 4 Tournament - Who From Here Went?

Intermediate divisions don't make much sense to me.

That said, if you're a skilled grappler, why would you even consider entering a novice division? Where's the challenge in that?
    Strategy can subsitute for talent, but talent will never subsitute for strategy.

"Sometimes hype just isn't enough" Jens Pulver

why not? it's great idea. i guess it's not about stopping skilled grapplers entering the novice division, it's about seperating blue belts from black belts.

Quote Originally Posted by daspecimen View Post
    why would you even consider entering a novice division? Where's the challenge in that?
    absolutely no challenge in that, but still many people doing this...
    Last edited by Adasko; 27-04-2009 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adasko View Post
    why not? it's great idea. i guess it's not about stopping skilled grapplers entering the novice division, it's about seperating blue belts from black belts.
    I think its too much of a grey area especially in this country. There aren't too many black belts entering no gi comps in the UK that i've seen/heard of and when i have, i have seen them tapped out by people who weren't black belts. And then with the other disciplines (freestyle, judo, sambo) etc where do the lines of novice, intermediate, advance really fit? It's easier in BJJ because you just have tournies by the belt colour but no gi is a different kettle of fish. plus i think a lot of people would try and sandbag into the intermediate when they could hold their own in advanced.

i think novice (under 18 months) and advanced (anything over that) is the best option
    Strategy can subsitute for talent, but talent will never subsitute for strategy.

"Sometimes hype just isn't enough" Jens Pulver

Ok, I'll join in lol. Basically, what Spec said.

There were no blackbelts, or even brown belts I think, at this comp. As is the case in most UK competitions. Creating extra experience divisions at every weight division because someone really good MAY show up will just slow the day down, make divisions too small and create too many medal winners imo. Everyone wants their own little division at the right weight and experience level so they can win it, drives me nuts.

My lads who took gold and silver in the advanced division have been training about 3 years and are graded white and blue so if they are intermediate who would've been in the advanced?

For the UK a novice and advanced split is best imo. If anyone is black belt level then they deserve to win the advanced and there's no shame losing to someone that good (and who know's they might actually get beat!). Or they should contact the organiser and if there are a handful of awesome guys then have some superfights or a pro tournament.

This event was excellent and the format was perfect. If numbers get outrageous then add categories but you have a winning formula right now.

Btw, was especially pleased to see that after the first round of the tournament all the guys who lost got to have another fight before the second round started. That was a really nice touch and seemed to make a lot guys day.

Right, I've said by bit and will now sit on my hands.

Nathan
    Head Coach at Leicester Shootfighters
    Sponsored by Caged Steel and Empire Fight Shop

Quote Originally Posted by Levo View Post

Btw, was especially pleased to see that after the first round of the tournament all the guys who lost got to have another fight before the second round started. That was a really nice touch and seemed to make a lot guys day.
    This is now and always will be the most important part of what we're doing with this tournament. We appreciate that people don't want to pay money just to have 1 roll, get knocked out and have nothing left to do all day. We also appreciate that people have difficult fights and need time to rest. So Round 1 Losers all getting an extra roll against each other satisfies both those points. That along with quick turn around time, no nonsense refereeing and lots of mats being run at once.

Quote Originally Posted by SDR View Post
    This is now and always will be the most important part of what we're doing with this tournament. We appreciate that people don't want to pay money just to have 1 roll, get knocked out and have nothing left to do all day. We also appreciate that people have difficult fights and need time to rest. So Round 1 Losers all getting an extra roll against each other satisfies both those points. That along with quick turn around time, no nonsense refereeing and lots of mats being run at once.
    i still think you should of gave Andre a advantage for his gullotine atempt

I watched it again and he jumped into it. not head squeezed.

Just a point lol
    Team Rough House - UKs no1 fight team

Quote Originally Posted by Levo View Post
    Ok, I'll join in lol. Basically, what Spec said.

There were no blackbelts, or even brown belts I think, at this comp. As is the case in most UK competitions. Creating extra experience divisions at every weight division because someone really good MAY show up will just slow the day down, make divisions too small and create too many medal winners imo. Everyone wants their own little division at the right weight and experience level so they can win it, drives me nuts.

My lads who took gold and silver in the advanced division have been training about 3 years and are graded white and blue so if they are intermediate who would've been in the advanced?

For the UK a novice and advanced split is best imo. If anyone is black belt level then they deserve to win the advanced and there's no shame losing to someone that good (and who know's they might actually get beat!). Or they should contact the organiser and if there are a handful of awesome guys then have some superfights or a pro tournament.

This event was excellent and the format was perfect. If numbers get outrageous then add categories but you have a winning formula right now.

Right, I've said by bit and will now sit on my hands.

Nathan
    Lucio Sergio who won the 80kg advanced was a blackbelt. He submitted all his fights in under 3mins.

I fought Lucio in the finals of the under 80kg advanced, all i can say is QUALITY!!! Great opportunity for me to fight a Elite grappler of his standard.

Firebird

btw firebird had sub of the day, flying scissor sweep into knee bar. Sweeeeeeet!

Quote Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
    Lucio Sergio who won the 80kg advanced was a blackbelt. He submitted all his fights in under 3mins.

I fought Lucio in the finals of the under 80kg advanced, all i can say is QUALITY!!! Great opportunity for me to fight a Elite grappler of his standard.

Firebird
    Fair play, I missed that division. Still, one guy out of 100s doesn't make for the need to change a winning formula.

Nathan
    Head Coach at Leicester Shootfighters
    Sponsored by Caged Steel and Empire Fight Shop

Great day all round, fantastic atmosphere and it was good to put a lot of faces to names!

Apologies if I was looking very sleepy towards the end - I had been at a show the night before until 1am and left home at 8.45am to be there on Sunday!