Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MMA clubs in reading?

Default MMA clubs in reading?

Hi guys,

I've got an offer to do a Masters at reading uni this september. Of course one of the most important considerations when moving somewhere is what training is available And i'm going to be very very skint so could do with getting an idea of how much it costs to train down south (i'm from Leeds).

I've mainly trained in thai but would be looking to get into mma/bjj. Only place i've found with a website is the workplace gym. Does anyone have any info on the classes available at the reading reapers and costs? or any other gyms that are around? the uni seems to have a kickboxing club but if it's one of those places that doesn't practice the clinch i'll be disappointed! haha

Apologies if this is kind of a repost, i saw previous threads about reading but couldn't really see much specific info on costs per class/monthly.

Thanks alot!

Joe

I did my msc at Reading and trained with Phil Else part of the Old Reapers club i think its now renamed Gods of War. Good class's and plenty of time to train around your study.

Ras

If you can travel a bit there is also Momentum near Basingstoke
    No natural ability, no skills, no conditioning, no hope...no quitting

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    I did my msc at Reading and trained with Phil Else part of the Old Reapers club i think its now renamed Gods of War. Good class's and plenty of time to train around your study.

Ras
    Is Phil the coach there? I was chatting to him on the train on the way to Cage Rage a year or so ago, he was a really nice guy.....hopefully he'll get the win in his upcoming BFC fight
    http://www.kendallgrovemma.com/

"You fucked his wife, fucked his fucking wife, you fucking wife fucker, you fucked his fucking wife you wife-fucking cunt, another mans wife? You stupid? You fucking thick you cunt? Fuck another mans wife? You don't do that!"

- Stephen Dillane

Drop in and train with us - to see for yourself

Phil does a kickboxing session at the uni on Tuesday nights - you could drop in to get some paperwork

Quote Originally Posted by WCJudoGuy View Post
    Drop in and train with us - to see for yourself

Phil does a kickboxing session at the uni on Tuesday nights - you could drop in to get some paperwork
    I was going to pop down a while ago but discovered thanks to the obscure public transport it'd take over an hour and a half to get to
    http://www.kendallgrovemma.com/

"You fucked his wife, fucked his fucking wife, you fucking wife fucker, you fucked his fucking wife you wife-fucking cunt, another mans wife? You stupid? You fucking thick you cunt? Fuck another mans wife? You don't do that!"

- Stephen Dillane

Joe you are welcome to come down to the classes anytime.

We run classes Mon 6pm-8pm & Wed 7.30-9.30pm at Reading Rugby Club Sonning. We have also just started a third class at TNT Fight Factory (opposite Rivermead Leisure Centre) 7.30pm-9.30pm on a Thu. Give me a bell on 07989 809529 if you need directions or as Scott said we run a kickboxing class on a Tue at the Uni if thats easier come in and we'll have a chat then.

Be good to have you come and train with us, we have 3 Pro fighters training out of the gym now as well as a number of people fighting on amateur events. We also welcome anyone who wants just to train but not to compete. Classes are 10 for 2 hour sessions or we do a standing order packages to make training cheaper if you are going to be a regular.

Phil Else
    Last edited by Gods of War; 05-05-2009 at 08:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post

Ras
    may i ask what accommodation you opted for during your time at reading?

Thanks for your post Phil, very informative. I'll keep it for reference and will aim to come down if i find myself in Reading come september. Smaller classes are just what i'd be looking for.

Yeah i got a room in a university owned house part of Sherfield hall, much better than the shitty rooms you get in halls also everyone is ahem "Mature" pretty pricey tho.

Ras

Quote Originally Posted by Ben_Hutch View Post
    Is Phil the coach there? I was chatting to him on the train on the way to Cage Rage a year or so ago, he was a really nice guy.....hopefully he'll get the win in his upcoming BFC fight
    Cheers dude-although you'll make me blush LOL. Sorry its too far for you to get over to train with us but thanks for the post. I'll be fighting on Pro Kumite later this year hopefully so let us know if you are coming to the event.

Phil