Thread: Is judo any good for mma?

Hybrid View

Default Is judo any good for mma?

Im looking for a grappling club to add to my boxing training, locally there is some decent Judo clubs but im not sure if i would be better travelling a bit further a field to Edinburgh to train BJJ at Rick Youngs academy.

How many top level fighters come form Judo, what art suits MMA better as i dont have time to train in both with work, family etc

if its cross trained and understood as judo for mma then yes, judo can be a phenominal art. the fitness and work ethic is on the same level as freestyle wrestling, except you are in a gi.

afaik, Rick Young is also a black belt in judo so to be honest you could not go far wrong.
    if you think its easy stop now

no one achieved anything by doing nothing

never argue with a fool

if fighting is a pursuit rooted in pain, you will find the best teachers have often absorbed the most punishment themselves......and remained standing

http://www.twitter.com/marcgoddard_uk

Thanks i wasnt aware that Rick Young was also a judo black belt

The Judo clubs ive looked at seem to be mostly sport judo based, havent seen them do much on the ground and even then it was just pinning.

Think il head to Rick Youngs get the best of both

Quote Originally Posted by badbilly View Post
    Thanks i wasnt aware that Rick Young was also a judo black belt

The Judo clubs ive looked at seem to be mostly sport judo based, havent seen them do much on the ground and even then it was just pinning.

Think il head to Rick Youngs get the best of both
    Hi mate

i train at Ricks and have done for years if you want any info drop me a pm, he does 3 mma classes per week as well as 5 bjj classes per week

cheers

Robert

good luck with it. to me, if its mma specifically that you are interested in i would seek out wrestling first [ just my opinion ] , i am not sure of ricks invlovement / exposure to wrestling though.

if its competition bjj that you are after, pairing that with judo means you will not go far wrong.
    if you think its easy stop now

no one achieved anything by doing nothing

never argue with a fool

if fighting is a pursuit rooted in pain, you will find the best teachers have often absorbed the most punishment themselves......and remained standing

http://www.twitter.com/marcgoddard_uk

To name some MMA fighters coming from Judo backgrounds:

Karo Parisyan
    Hayato Sakurai
    Yoshiyuki Yoshida
    Dyung "Stun Gun" Kim
    Sokoudjou
    Nakumura
    Hidehiko Yoshida

Quote Originally Posted by badbilly View Post
    Im looking for a grappling club to add to my boxing training, locally there is some decent Judo clubs but im not sure if i would be better travelling a bit further a field to Edinburgh to train BJJ at Rick Youngs academy.

How many top level fighters come form Judo, what art suits MMA better as i dont have time to train in both with work, family etc
    west lothian has some cracking judoka's.

our JJ class has some Judo players come in and do seminars now and then, also ashe mohammeds fighters hive has a few good judo guys there.

why dont you try that out? its on your doorstep

If it's grappling you want to do then I can't see the point in taking up Judo as you're unlikely to stick with it.