Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Tournament Opponent and drugs (recreational)

Talking

I accept I have sensitive smell. Where we train, the caretaker smks weed every Friday. Maybe he has developed and evolved my sense of smell!

Marijuana isn't a performance enhancing drug the same way steroids are, but yes it can make certain people perform better, or worse as it is a depressent, the same way coffee, or a can of coke might as it is a stimulant.

I agree it sucks when somone ur rolling with stinks, B.O. puts me off, but im not gonna expect my opponent to take a shower every 10 mins.

I dont see how smoking before comp is pathetic? aside from the fact that it is against the law, how does it differ from an asthma pump which prevents guys from gassing and spazing out because they have a physical disadvantage, perhaps your opponent gets too excited, which is a mental disadvantage and he needs a depressent like marijuana to calm himself down?

doesn't that make asthmatics equally pathetic?

IMO in competition aslong as they dont have an unfair advantage from taking the drug it doesnt matter.

Some guys pray before competing, some guys cry before competing, some guys smoke weed before competing, whatever floats thier boat.

Baz.
    Last edited by Baz; 28-05-2009 at 11:08 PM.

Weed isn't a depressant btw, it's technically a hallucinogen I think?
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

Smoking weed is a choice baz, asthma isnt, so I dont agree with your comparison at all. Its a matter of choice, also the bloke who stunk of weed won the fight, I think thats whats chaffing mathmetists butt. Not only did he lose, but he lost to a stinky skunky monkey. Also he once tapped to a bloke who smelt of dettol. Personly I like the smell of the green stuff, If the bloke I was about to fight stunk of weed, Id see it as an advantage.

Its not his cup you can feel.... Mike Bishop's Avatar

That's also one of the strangest arguments I've ever heard put forward.

which part of it? the weed, the asthma or what

Default clarification

Hi lads. just to clarify, I got beat by a better opponent, I am not doubting that one bit, neither am I saying that it enhanced him one bit.

BUT, it did make the fight that little bit uncomfortable for a non-weed smoker!

That's all I'm trying to say and not that we should be looking and smelling like John Travolta on a Saturday night when we compete

Yes, I do have a sensitive nose. Even at another comp after I had competed, the side doors to the hall were opened and the smoke of the ciggy smokers was coming in when you're sparring and competing, that's the last thing you need and I did over hear others talking about it too!

I am not complaining about B.O, dettol or other stuff in training but during a competition, I feel that out of courtesy for the opponent, one shouldn't smell of fags and try their best to keep the air clean. Surely that can't be too much to ask for lads?

Thanks again for your insight!

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy D View Post
    which part of it? the weed, the asthma or what
    Not you mate - I meant the earlier post comparing weed and asthma. As you said asthma pumps are a necessity so the comparison doesn't make sense

Meant to say that it wouldn't bother me but do agree it's all part of general courtesy and respect to your opponent. Getting pissed up before the match wouldn't be illegal I guess but your opponent probably wouldn't be happy about it. Would be funny though.

I've recently heard a story about a guy who stayed up until 2am bonging the night before an MMA fight... wtf is that about?
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/