Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CBJJ rules on dan Grades

What a load of crap. But as said above alot of people don't follow it - doesnt Worion give his kids stripes every month?

As J-Sho say, no one really follows the IBJJF guidelines to the letter. Helio and Rorion have always done his own thing (hence Ryron and Rener are 5th and 4th degree respectively), as did Carlson. Relson has now begun following the IBJJF formula a little bit (one of his blackbelts mentioned removing one of his stripes as Relson is now following the IBJJF 3 years per stripe guidance), but I doubt he's giving money to the IBJJF, and tbh I can't see anyone outside of GB America paying either (and even then Carlinhos might let them off).

Quote Originally Posted by J-Sho View Post
    Judo permits people who compete and people who don't to progress. Do you think someone like Winnie cares that there are other 5th dans out there who didn't go to two olympics or do you think he is just happy focusing on his own progress?

In any case, in BJJ, a black belt is a black belt is a black belt, gradations between black belts in bjj until you hit 5/6/7 dan mean relatively little imo - you, Roger Gracie, Andre Galvao, Kron, Sergio Moraes, Jude, Terere and Marc Laimon are all the same grade after all... i don;t thinkmost competitive black belts care about stripes until after they have finished competing (Saulo only recently got his 3rd or 4th stripe for example but has been a black belt for more than a decade).

I'm not sure that many people follow the IBJJF guidelines in this regard, the IGJJF/Helio side don't and seemingly a lot of people within the auspices of the CBJJ sports BJJ world don't either. Roger is a 6 year black belt/6 time world champ but wears no stripes for example.
    I can't speak for Winston but I care about improving my Judo Dan grade and when I went to a grading recently it got me think about BJJ.
    Surely it is positive to encourage black belts to compete more?
    Surely it is positive to encourage submission wins in competition?

I see your point about a black belt being a black belt in BJJ but from my point of view the path for improving my grade in Judo is superior to the one mapped out in BJJ.

Does it for us **flex** piratebrido's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TRIBULUS View Post
    I can't speak for Winston but I care about improving my Judo Dan grade and when I went to a grading recently it got me think about BJJ.
    Surely it is positive to encourage black belts to compete more?
    Surely it is positive to encourage submission wins in competition?

I see your point about a black belt being a black belt in BJJ but from my point of view the path for improving my grade in Judo is superior to the one mapped out in BJJ.
    Why do you feel the need to improve your grade beyond black? What benefits does it bring you?

cus chicks dig it brido

Quote Originally Posted by piratebrido View Post
    Why do you feel the need to improve your grade beyond black? What benefits does it bring you?
    I suppose the same benefits you get from going from blue to purple or purple to brown. A sense of achievement, motivation, nice shiny new belt.

Also this isn't all about me and my own motivation, it's about finding a better system than the one currently offered by the IBJJF. The British Judo model seems to be more constructive.

The BJA model works because the have already established the idea of being graded by the association. BJJ is graded by an individual who knows the student, so going to a more association based system (for dan grades) would be a big jump.
    Last edited by Sir Tapsalot; 14-05-2009 at 01:35 PM.

I think the point of this thread is being misunderstood.

BJJ has a belt system which is fantastic-it is based purely on
    performance and ability and no money changes hands.

This changes after the black belt has been awarded.

Suddenly it changes,degrees are awarded for 'time served'
    and money needs to be paid to an organisation.(If the black belt
    decides he would like degrees).

I grade in Judo as a blackbelt,not because I really want to move up the ranks
    (although that is a happy by-product) but because once a month I can go to
    a grading with other blackbelt and have a scrap under competition conditions.
    its great fun and very challenging.And because its not a big competition it is usually over in 3hrs.

It would perhaps encourage BJJ black belts to continue competing if doing so
    had an effect on their ranking as for some,with the system as it is now there is little motivation to carry on competing when black has been awarded.Obviously highly motivated guys like the current Top 20 black belts in the world don't need any extra motivation to compete but there are a lot of black belts world wide that do.

I agree with Sir Tapsalot that not all instructors should have to compete and that some instructors focus on other parts of our art,and they shouldn't be penalised.

I just think awarding degrees for 'time served' is not in the original spirit of BJJ.

Quote Originally Posted by creonte View Post
    smash faggot in club ,10 point

My student he smash faggot in club,5 point

Clock choke no kimono on beach 10 point

Put to sleep Russian puta who visit academie,10 point

Take American student stars an stripes bandana an burn in academie,2 point

slap student who leave for train new place at competition,2 point

make White belt have cauliflower ear,2 point

Dojo invade bitch ass club down Rua,10 point

tape over student tournament footage when borrow camera
    of pass spider gwarde with girl I meet at carnival,2 point

student win fight in Rio Heroe,10 point