Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Entering my 1st competition. How did you find yours?

Hybrid View

Default Entering my 1st competition. How did you find yours?

Hello people. Just curious about how you felt when you entered your 1st BJJ competition? I'm entering my 1st one next month (Brittish open) and dont know what to expect really. I've heard quite a few people whom are at Blue Belt level get held back so they can win competitions which seems abit weird but i can understand the logic behind it. Was you nervous? How did you do in your 1st competition btw? How long had you been training in BJJ before hand? I've been learning BJJ for roughly just under 6 months. I'm quite nervous as i have the tendency to have little bit of self doubt that i will do badly though im teacher says "you'll be ok".
    Last edited by Soldmysoulforabeer; 14-05-2009 at 11:51 AM. Reason: add more garbage

I wasn't nervous, had only been training 3 months and got my arm snapped (bad injury) in about 30 seconds, lol.

Hopefully you fair better!
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    I wasn't nervous, had only been training 3 months and got my arm snapped (bad injury) in about 30 seconds, lol.

Hopefully you fair better!
    Ermm... Ouch!

I bet that was abit off putting.

Its not his cup you can feel.... Mike Bishop's Avatar

Mate first and foremost - good on you for choosing to compete. A lot of people don't and I think they miss out. I've won, got to semis, gone out first and second rounds but always gained something from competing.

You'll probably be nervous but injuries are unusual and it's also unlikely you'll get subbed in the first 30 seconds which is a worry I hear a lot.

Make sure your cardio is spot on - you'll find you use a lot of energy.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Quote Originally Posted by Soldmysoulforabeer View Post
    Ermm... Ouch!

I bet that was abit off putting.
    Nah, didn't put me off at all to be honest! Stopped me from training for 2 months and no rolling at all for about 3 though.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

I had my first BJJ match at the Essex open a couple of weeks ago, ( Ill also see you at Birmingham). Ive fought in MMA before, and got my blue in judo (you have to fight to earn your belts in judo), so Im not a stranger to competing, but to be honest, as my name was called and I stepped onto the mat I was nervous, but once the ref said "fight" and we stepped towards each other, it was just me and him and the nerves were gone. For the record I lost on ponts,5 - 0, he scored the take down then got side control, and then sat on me for 4 minutes, with me struggling like an idiot. It was a straight final so we both got a medal but Im still looking for that W. Its my first loss in any competition, but I learned a lot from it and cant wait till birmingham for the rematch (hopefully).
    Best of luck though mate ( as long as your not in my age and weight class of course).

I'd been training for about three months. Went up to a no-gi comp in Worcester. Won my first fight by Guillotine in overtime after he took my back but couldn't choke me before the end of time.

Second guy actually knew how to fight, pulled guard and held me there. Armbarred me about four times, triangled me a few more, ended up triangle-armbarring me and throwing me over his head so I landed on my head in a triangle and a fully-extended armbar. Which hurt. But didn't dent my enthusiasm. ^_^

Take care,

Stalks

Thanks Mike its appreciated.

I dont see the point in learning something and not testing yourself at it against various people.

I'll be 76KG weight catrergory and under 30's (I isnt a master lol) @ Daddy D.

Quote Originally Posted by Soldmysoulforabeer View Post
    Thanks Mike its appreciated.

I dont see the point in learning something and not testing yourself at it against various people.

I'll be 76KG weight catrergory and under 30's (I isnt a master lol) @ Daddy D.
    In that case, best of luck you young wipper snapper.

I was pretty nervous on the day but then due to a mix up thought I wasnt going to get a match as my name wasnt on the bracket at the start of my division. I was too busy making sure they realised what had happened then someone who had weighed in didnt appear when called so I got ten seconds notice to take his spot. turns out they had entered me in the weight class below if only I'd known

Won the match fairly easily on points and didnt have any scored against me and I threatened a few subs. Dissapointed I didnt get a finish, but the biggest suprise was how sore my forearms were immediately after from gripping so hard.