Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grand Master Sken in the Bangkok Post

Default Grand Master Sken in the Bangkok Post

This is taken from the Bangkok Post recently; aside from the referral of "UFC" as a combat sport, it's a well written article and Grand Master Sken is thinking in a very modern approach, which is good.

(PS. I know it's not technically MMA, but there isn't a forum for Muay Thai related posts)

Grand Master Sken addresses why Muay Thai needs to change

Nice read, think he has a lot of really valid points, more and more people are looking to do MMA due to how it is marketed and the amout of tv time it gets.

I think MT is equally as exciting as MMA

I think another valid point is the money issue, the money is just better in MMA in general, for example Sportfight Scotland and Cage Kombat pays first time semi-pro fightere more then i got paid for fighting for the STBA scottish title.

Contrary to some former belief; Grand Master Sken is actually a supporter of MMA, one of his former students; Phil Nurse, is a coach of GSP and Grand Master Sken is in constant contact with him and supports him all the way.

But, like you say; yeah, the money IS a lot better in MMA (and even then, MMA isn't exactly a big paying sport compared to Boxing) Muay Thai is getting some exposure with the contender: Asia show and The Fight Girls reality series from awhile ago, hopefully it continues

I agree that MR is just as exciting as MMA but it could never be as big coz ppl are used to boxing and it's easy to describe MMA as being close to a street fight, MT is inbetween the two and I don't think it'll ever be that big.

Is this only recent, because didnt Master Sken have a rule at one time that his students wernt allowed to train in MMA??

Quote Originally Posted by sky View Post
    Is this only recent, because didnt Master Sken have a rule at one time that his students wernt allowed to train in MMA??
    No, that was just a rumour. I remember hearing that too, but it's possibly to do with when Grand Master Sken was quite strict with his students and cross training, but the last several years he's come to appreciate the plus points of other systems and disciplines.

Got a lot of time for Sken. Was luckily enough to meet him in the 80's and, even though he dressed like a pimp, he was a true gent who loves MT.

Sken, Toddy, Master A were all figure heads in the introduction of MT in the UK and are owed a hell of a lot of gratitude!
    MMA Officials London, Essex and East Anglia representative

Quote Originally Posted by The Gimp View Post
    Got a lot of time for Sken. Was luckily enough to meet him in the 80's and, even though he dressed like a pimp, he was a true gent who loves MT.

Sken, Toddy, Master A were all figure heads in the introduction of MT in the UK and are owed a hell of a lot of gratitude!
    Not just the UK; but much of Europe too.

And I've seen some old pics of GM Skens dress style, and thank God that's calmed down a lot now too!

Quote Originally Posted by DanCrase View Post
    Contrary to some former belief; Grand Master Sken is actually a supporter of MMA, one of his former students; Phil Nurse, is a coach of GSP and Grand Master Sken is in constant contact with him and supports him all the way.

But, like you say; yeah, the money IS a lot better in MMA (and even then, MMA isn't exactly a big paying sport compared to Boxing) Muay Thai is getting some exposure with the contender: Asia show and The Fight Girls reality series from awhile ago, hopefully it continues
    Peter Daves is also one of Skens students, he teaches MT and MMA at Next Generation:

http://vimeo.com/1787354?pg=embed&sec=

most MT clubs will (like BJJ) be able to retrace their lineage - and its generally goes back to sken/a/toddy -

Ajarn Sken has done a hell of a lot for MT in this country.

Plus sported some awesome fashions and hairstyles over the years ;-) (obviously with the greatest of respect)