Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Im New to MMA

Smile Im New to MMA

Hi all,
    I have recently just started MMA and I have been 3 times.
    I am enjoying it and its good getting back into some form of martial arts. I used to do Taekwondo yrs ago (10) and so with lack of training, lots of drinking etc, my fitness level is now shocking!
    As you all know, Taekwondo is not a full contact sport so going from that to MMA is a big jump.
    Really enjoying it though and I am knackard after each session I have been too, so thats good! My main reason for doing it is to improve on my fitness!
    Last night when I was at the club, the instuctor was telling us all about a competiton coming up, http://www.cagewarriors.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=36992
    But having only been 3 times to MMA and not done any training for over 10 years, am I right thinking I should leave this competition for now and get my fitness up! I have, at the end of the day only had 3 grappling lessons!
    What are your thoughts? Is this comp, a full blown full contact competition or...
    Im not after getting battered, after all I mainly joined for the fitness. But having said that, if I feel good enough, I dont see a reason not to give it ago.

Cheers for reading guys,

Dave
    Last edited by DaveSupTT; 21-05-2009 at 12:38 PM.

Personally, I would advise against competing after three months training if your base fitness level is really poor AND you're not training solely in grappling, since I doubt you'll be fit enough or well-versed enough on the ground in that time. I'd say six months might be a better bet. But if you want to do it, by all means, do it. Just give it a try and whatever you do, don't let yourself get hurt.

Take care,

Stalks

Banned

Well... If it's not gonna affect your record or anything, i'd say do it for the experience, you got 1 month to train if its in june 28th

Quote Originally Posted by Stalkachu View Post
    Personally, I would advise against competing after three months training if your base fitness level is really poor AND you're not training solely in grappling, since I doubt you'll be fit enough or well-versed enough on the ground in that time. I'd say six months might be a better bet. But if you want to do it, by all means, do it. Just give it a try and whatever you do, don't let yourself get hurt.

Take care,

Stalks
    This is what I was thinking, to leave it a bit as its early days.
    Just wondering if you can clear things up, this competition, is it soley just groundwork, and you can expect to take no body shots or head shots. Its remotely just grappling trying to submit each other?

Quote Originally Posted by pauljono1120 View Post
    Well... If it's not gonna affect your record or anything, i'd say do it for the experience, you got 1 month to train if its in june 28th
    hmmm, yep serious training would be order for me to stand a chance lol

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSupTT View Post
    This is what I was thinking, to leave it a bit as its early days.
    Just wondering if you can clear things up, this competition, is it soley just groundwork, and you can expect to take no body shots or head shots. Its remotely just grappling trying to submit each other?
    The competition you're talking about is pure groundwork. No strikes, just takedowns/submissions etc.

That's why I was advising against it. ^_^

Take care,

Stalks

Possibly Killed Micheal Jackson

Hey Dave!

Where you training in Blackpool? I am a Blackpool lass myself (just live in Lancaster now!)

I think there is nothing to lose by entering. Just dont expect to win do the best you can and enjoy the experience

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Hey Dave!

Where you training in Blackpool? I am a Blackpool lass myself (just live in Lancaster now!)
    Its actually in St. Annes at the White Church. A bloke called Jamie Edmond takes the class. He also teaches other stuff as well on different nights. See www.firstdojo.co.uk
    Where abouts are you training?

Possibly Killed Micheal Jackson

Cool! I train in Lancaster, mma and muay thai