Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When's the next Jiu Jitsu kumite?

Default When's the next Jiu Jitsu kumite?

I remember these used to be on pretty regularly, no punching to the face but kicks allowed, groundwork limited to 30 seconds.

Lots of traditional JJ and karate black belts competing

Anyone know when the next one is? Good for blues and purples to test themselves against karate man.

Quote Originally Posted by TRIBULUS View Post

test themselves against karate man
    lol very timely

"Combination strikes / Flurries on target without the use of grappling"

I'm not sure a blue belt will be able to deal with this if accompanied by a strong "kiai!"

There are not many Seniors that fight in this now, several BJJ guys have already entered these events.

The kids categories are really busy. We put our kids into these events as it is a good format for them, the events are well organised, 10 to enter and a minimum of two fights.

There are several competitions throughout the year, which cant be said with regards to BJJ.

The 30 seconds on the ground (40 for seniors) requires a very explosive approach to groundwork.

I did one when I was a blue belt and it was good fun. Any blues or purples gonna see how their jiu jitsu fairs against karate/trad jj.?

I'm sure we could arrange for Bridlington to turn up there, would make for some good matches.

Slightly Bonkers shakus maximus's Avatar

There are not many Seniors that fight in this now, several BJJ guys have already entered these events.

The kids categories are really busy. We put our kids into these events as it is a good format for them, the events are well organised, 10 to enter and a minimum of two fights.

There are several competitions throughout the year, which cant be said with regards to BJJ.

The 30 seconds on the ground (40 for seniors) requires a very explosive approach to groundwork.
    ive competed in amateur, semi pro and pro mma, bjj and jujutsu kumite.
    of them all i find the jujutsu kumite the most physically demanding due to the 40 second ground limit.
    you score for take downs, punch kick to the body, controlled backfist and kick to the head and submission ends the fight
    the 40 sec ground rule means there is no opportunity to stall so the pace is frantic
    i would encourage any one training bjj to enter any that Ross Ianaccarro puts on.
    at the world martial arts games in Germany 2007 there were several purples and browns that won the grappling divisions but lost in the sport jujutsu section due to opponents constantly taking them down and scoring and staying tight for the 40 secs on the ground and avoiding submissions.
    dont knock it until youve give it a bash

I think it's great, I thoroughly enjoyed the one I did. Anyone going to the next one then?

Slightly Bonkers shakus maximus's Avatar

I think it's great, I thoroughly enjoyed the one I did. Anyone going to the next one then?
    the last few have been cancelled mate i think prob due to lack of entries.
    i think there is a calender on the NJJC website with dates