Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gentlemen's Agreements

Does it for us **flex** piratebrido's Avatar

Default Gentlemen's Agreements

Prompted by this blog post

What are peoples opinions on such agreements (apart from the ignorance the term holds towards female competitors.)?

fight, always fight, no excuse

I'd rather see them fight, would happily fight anyone from my club in a BJJ or grappling comp...

One way would be to have one guy in each weight bracket, the best man can be picked from an in house mini tourney if there are more than one for a specific weight bracket.

In addition, closing out between two players devalues the gold and silver medal and doesn't really count for much if you don't fight for it. After all, we roll with fellow team mates week in week week out, a competition is meant to be an arena where you test your skills against another competitor and if that happens to be a team mate so be it.

Or as stated earlier, one fighter per bracket.

F

It seems very strange to me.

It's similar to how A. Silva and Machida may never fight.

If you're a fighter and you want to compete against the best, then you surely must fight.

i dont think team mates should fight..

i have been in this position about 3 years ago and was suplexed by a much more experienced team mate on a takedown and eventually subbed..this was in the final.

months are spent on building a team..building rapport..an understanding amongst team mates and friendships are built..

competition aint training and its a 'win at all costs situation'..a situation that i for one would not be comfortable with..u jepordise all of the hard work that goes into a team for one fight..and no matter what anyone says, people NEVER forget about being subbed by a team mate and imho always want to reverse the situation. I know that i did..i feel that anyone who is truely competitive will feel the same..

again, only an opinion..

By the way..i got my revenge..
    Last edited by The Natural; 12-06-2009 at 09:18 AM.

Does it for us **flex** piratebrido's Avatar

Would be interested in those involved in MMA as well. If there were a tournament would you fight a team mate for the final? What about quarter or semi finals?

I genuinly don't have an opinion one way or another yet. On a selfish note I would love to see two of the best grapplers/fighters in their divisions fight one another. This is a view entirely from a spectator. I am not or ever have been a member of a fight team so I have no first hand experience, but I do know how close The Dinky Ninja's are.

It's bad for spectators but good (maybe?) for fight teams?

I do want to hear from as many people as I can so I can get a good view of the entire thing. What about coaches, do you want your fighters competing against each other in competition even if they are game?

I dont want to get any abuse for suggesting bjj is not a fight but i really disagree with this gentlemens agreements in comps. Firstly unlike mma say (like machida vs silva) neither of you are likely to suffer any long term damage.... plus even black belts must be used to tapping to blacks in training/sparring?

How is BJJ not a fight?

a- A physical conflict between two or more individuals.
    b- Sports. A boxing or wrestling match.

http://www.answers.com/fight

Is best fight in world my fren!!!
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    How is BJJ not a fight?

a- A physical conflict between two or more individuals.
    b- Sports. A boxing or wrestling match.

http://www.answers.com/fight

Is best fight in world my fren!!!
    lol i agree its a fight but i just think its totally different grappling a team mate than punching him in the face or dropping elbows on him etc