Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gentlemen's Agreements

Quote Originally Posted by sol_dave View Post
    lol i agree its a fight but i just think its totally different grappling a team mate than punching him in the face or dropping elbows on him etc
    True!

Have you ever heard the story about Wand and Shogun having a full MMA fight in training over the issue of buying puppies? Mental.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by piratebrido View Post
    Would be interested in those involved in MMA as well. If there were a tournament would you fight a team mate for the final? What about quarter or semi finals?

I genuinly don't have an opinion one way or another yet. On a selfish note I would love to see two of the best grapplers/fighters in their divisions fight one another. This is a view entirely from a spectator. I am not or ever have been a member of a fight team so I have no first hand experience, but I do know how close The Dinky Ninja's are.

It's bad for spectators but good (maybe?) for fight teams?

I do want to hear from as many people as I can so I can get a good view of the entire thing. What about coaches, do you want your fighters competing against each other in competition even if they are game?

From an mma point of view im sure i remember Wand saying that if him and Shogun met in the pride grand prix they would basically have a sub match with no strikes.... could be wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    True!

Have you ever heard the story about Wand and Shogun having a full MMA fight in training over the issue of buying puppies? Mental.
    Bas Rutten

Mauricio had a nest of pit-bull puppies and Wanderlei wanted to have one. Mauricio asked him $600 (for what I understand) for it, but Wanderlei said that he wanted it for free. Mauricio told him that he needed the money and that Wanderlei has money enough anyway. So Wanderlei’s response was that he wanted to fight for the puppy. If Mauricio would win, he would pay him the money, if he would win, he would get the puppy for free. Well, Wanderlei knocked Mauricio out!

lol thanks for reminding me

lol i agree its a fight but i just think its totally different grappling a team mate than punching him in the face or dropping elbows on him etc
    y is this any differant?

is it any differant to applying an armlock to breaking point?

Or a choke until your opponent is unconcious?

I know from my own training and the coaches expectation that u do what evers necessary to get the win (not dirty tactics)..but if your opponent hasn't the sense to tap..he must take the knock on effect..if thats injury, then so be it..

some guys i know would much prefer to 'bang it out' (w/o elbows of course)with little annomosity than to 'Roll Hard' comptitively...

again, just my own experiences..

Horses for courses i think..

(response to sol dave's last post)

Haha, yeah. Those guys are crazy, fair do's.

Although, I know guys who would do the same and I'm sure every MMA gym has people like that!
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

Bas Rutten

Mauricio had a nest of pit-bull puppies and Wanderlei wanted to have one. Mauricio asked him $600 (for what I understand) for it, but Wanderlei said that he wanted it for free. Mauricio told him that he needed the money and that Wanderlei has money enough anyway. So Wanderlei’s response was that he wanted to fight for the puppy. If Mauricio would win, he would pay him the money, if he would win, he would get the puppy for free. Well, Wanderlei knocked Mauricio out!

lol thanks for reminding me
    that is f*cking mental....

Does it for us **flex** piratebrido's Avatar

I think this is a good point. I would armbar or choke the shit out of any of my friends, but dropping bombs on them is a different matter. However I realise that 99.9% of my time in combat sports is spent doing BJJ, so that could be something to do with it.

I think that you are doing a disrespect to the tournament if two fighters simply decide on who is the winner.

I believe this happened in the mundials this year with the Alliance team?

As much as i hate to say it,the gracie barra team got it right this when roger fought romulo in the absolute finals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuIT-h7qH-8

As long as its in the finals i dont think its as bad you know between you who is better there isnt any reason to prove it, if you meet one of your teammates in the semis or earlier then whoever is running the tournament should get you another opponent. BJJ isnt realy a spectator sport is it

We had 2 guys thumb wrestle for gold and silver at one comp, it was intense thumb wrestling though!!

In MMA there is hardly any reason why you should have to fight a team mate it would be a bizare fight though with each knowing the others game

Have a listen to this weeks Fightworks Podcast - there's interviews with Fabio Gurgel (who doesn't agree with teammates fighting) and with Roger and Romulo (who obviously don't have an issue with it).

Personally I don't think it's a big deal at local comps, but at the majors (Mundials, Pan Ams etc) I'd prefer them to fight. As Roger says in the above interview, you've trained for months and then you're just going to give away the biggest prize in your sport?