Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Commission Project.

surely no promoters would voluntarily sign up to regulation which costs them money? As soon as you start talking £fee I reckon you have lost them, margins are tight enough as it is.

Pro Fighter
    self-appointed boss of the forum

Pretty negative that, John. Thats how they work now in other sports and with MMA in America.

Promoters won't sign up if there is no benefit, but a governing body is supposed to provide the benefits of making the event 'official and licensed', imporving standards, rules, making it safer, etc, etc. The events that don't sign up become "unlicensed" in the same way that there is Professional Boxing and Unlicensed Boxing in the UK.... the only difference is professional are licenced by the BBBoC

Quote Originally Posted by John@FightersOnly View Post
    surely no promoters would voluntarily sign up to regulation which costs them money? As soon as you start talking £fee I reckon you have lost them, margins are tight enough as it is.
    I would as i see the benefits of a controlling body actually saving money long term.

Quote Originally Posted by John@FightersOnly View Post
    You couldn't realisticaly have an active commission without charging fee's. Were not talking large amounts, just enough to cover costs. Where else would the funds come from ? Your not gonna get an invester that will pour money in with no return, thats just bad business, I doubt that the government would fund it, if the government did then it would be peoples taxes that are paying for it.

Lets say we charged promoters a £100 annual fee and a £100 event fee, the initial £100 is out of their pocket but it enables them to host licensed events under the flag of the governing body, the £100 event fee would mean an extra 1-2 pound on ticket prices. For example a ticket would cost £22.50 instead of £20.

So its not something that is going to effect their business financially but will give their promotions more credibility. More credibility form the viewpoint of prospective fighters, punters and sponsors. Not only that but they know they have healthy licensed fighters and safe licensed venue's.

Obviously if the commission supplied officials were probably talkin more that £100.. maybe £100 and a small percentage of the gate.. 5% or somet.. this would push the ticket prices up again slightly but I dont think people would have a problem paying an extra £4-£5 to see a fully licenced event at a fully licensed venue. I know i wouldnt. Especially if it was for the good of the sport in general.

The promoters would likely be able to make more from event sponsership, your not gonna get big name brands advertising themselves through unlicensed fighting.
    Last edited by Mc6pack; 22-07-2009 at 07:10 PM.

I think you need to re think your figures a bit. £2.50 for the licensing and £4-5 for commission supplied officials will not work. If you charged an additional £6.50 there would be box office commission and in some cases VAT to go on top making an increase of £8.00 or thereabouts. The spectators would not stand that and i can say as i would blame them.

the figures are obviously pulled out of the air for the purpose of this post for an explination, they arnt considered figures, i wouldnt read into them too much. i like the idea, but i doubt i could be of much help. will support it though

Quote Originally Posted by mickholdaway View Post
    I think you need to re think your figures a bit. £2.50 for the licensing and £4-5 for commission supplied officials will not work. If you charged an additional £6.50 there would be box office commission and in some cases VAT to go on top making an increase of £8.00 or thereabouts. The spectators would not stand that and i can say as i would blame them.
    Question : how much do you pay your judges, ref and safety officials ? just a rough idea ?

You'd be paying this overhead to the commission. Making the officials completely neutural and under the employment of the commision. So realistically you wouldnt have to raise ticket prices further. This also means that you would have no sway over the officials and are bereft of any blame for bad reffing/decisions.. that would be our failure.

Its far too early to be talking figures in reality, another thing that requires more research and discussion later.

The figures I used are only for sakes of explination.

Question : how much do you pay your judges, ref and safety officials ? just a rough idea ?

I would have felt more comfortable if you already knew such figures as you intend to manage this aspect.

You'd be paying this overhead to the commission. Making the officials completely neutural and under the employment of the commision. So realistically you wouldnt have to raise ticket prices further. This also means that you would have no sway over the officials and are bereft of any blame for bad reffing/decisions.. that would be our failure.

This is a bit diferent to what you wrote in an earlier post saying it would put £4-5 on a ticket. I do not consider that i have any sway over any of our officials and cringe at the thought that any promoter would. An official has to make his/her own decision and should be not swayed by a promoter or even a governing body. As for bad decisions, we choose our Ref and judges for their fairness and expertise and should their be a remote chance they did make a miss judgment we would not be burdened with the blame.

Its far too early to be talking figures in reality, another thing that requires more research and discussion later.

I quite agree but you were the one who offered figures even if they were plucked out of the sky.

I think you should do a lot more research before you use figures in any explanation.

In principle Prokumite is up for a governing body as it will afford many benefits to the fraternity as a whole but those who head the body must know the business inside out and that can only be achieved by having a representative from every aspect of the sport.
    Last edited by mickholdaway; 23-07-2009 at 10:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mickholdaway View Post

I would have felt more comfortable if you already knew such figures as you intend to manage this aspect.

This is a bit diferent to what you wrote in an earlier post saying it would put £4-5 on a ticket. I do not consider that i have any sway over any of our officials and cringe at the thought that any promoter would. An official has to make his/her own decision and should be not swayed by a promoter or even a governing body. As for bad decisions, we choose our Ref and judges for their fairness and expertise and should their be a remote chance they did make a miss judgment we would not be burdened with the blame.

I quite agree but you were the one who offered figures even if they were plucked out of the sky.

I think you should do a lot more research before you use figures in any explanation.

In principle Prokumite is up for a governing body as it will afford many benefits to the fraternity as a whole but those who head the body must know the business inside out and that can only be achieved by having a representative from every aspect of the sport.
    I really dont understand what your getting at, and this feels rather like an attack... I'm a fan and a lover of the sport, thats all, I have already stated that my knowledge and influence is severely limited, I have also stated that this is a job for a commitee and not for one man, I have not professed to being a manager, leader or head im just one guy using his initiative to do some basic research to get the ball rolling in hopes that people will get on board and help make this happen.

How will we get MMA regulated and sanctioned in the UK and what will that sanctioning consist of, what will it cost, how will we cover these costs, the questions I am trying to answer.

How will we get MMA regulated and sanctioned in the UK - the current question, anything past that is pure specualtion at the moment.

The question of promoters have sway over officials etc is not an attack on you in any way, shape or form, its just one of the many possibility of things that can go wrong or be in question with unsanctioned, unregulated events.

Prokumite is up for a governing body ? We'll this has been a complete waste of time and effort then eh.
    Last edited by Mc6pack; 23-07-2009 at 07:11 PM.

Is Pro Kumite not a promotion ?