Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Commission Project.

Can we now place all items in the new sub forum, Thank you Godders.

Mc6pack, what is your real name? can you maybe hold off before contacting the world.

Their is lots to discuss (as a group) and we need to plan every stage of communication so that it is done correctly and in the right context.
    "No one deserves to be unbeaten" Dan Hardy post Cage Warriors Strike force 1 2005
    "I wanna be in fights that make history" Paul Daley post UFC 108 2010
    MMA Connect

sorry wrong forum
    Last edited by Stumac; 24-07-2009 at 12:55 AM. Reason: wrong forum

Resident Hippy Mod CraigSt.Clair's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DanCrase View Post
    I really can't offer up anything worth adding to the creation or running of this, but you got my interest and support all the same
    I'm the same ball park, but as I said if I can help give me a shout
    http://www.facebook.com/craig.st.clair666 ME

"That was how i got my first soapy titwank!
    Listening is cool and shit." BlackdogMMA

Quote Originally Posted by David Swann View Post
    Can we now place all items in the new sub forum, Thank you Godders.

Mc6pack, what is your real name? can you maybe hold off before contacting the world.

Their is lots to discuss (as a group) and we need to plan every stage of communication so that it is done correctly and in the right context.
    My name is Alan I'll hold off with the emails for the minute then, although I have had nothing but positive replies thus far, any replies I get im directing them to the Sub Forum to sign the petition (that you beat me to "bloody baby scans").

Quote Originally Posted by Stumac View Post
    For the last 18 months or so I have been looking into governing bodies for MMA in Scotland.
    Some local authorities refuse to let MMA show's go ahead in their venues until they have a governing body and are recognised by Sport Scotland. Sounds easy but as usual it's not. A governing body must be able to satisfy Sport Scotland that they represent the majority of the clubs/gyms/teams before they will be recognised. The governing body must also have been established for 2 years prior to any application being accepted.

I dont know what the situation is in the rest of the UK, I would imagine that you will come up against the same sort of problems. I am happy to help in any way I can and share the information I have collected with any one who is serious about getting involved.
    That would be FANTASTIC stu, will save me hours of sifting through internet nonsence

Post any links u have for info on the INFO thread im about to create or you can email me (pm'd it to you).

I dont suppose there's anyone on here that has access to a web server... free hosting ?

And i know there's a couple of WD's on here

Mc6pack I just posted this on another thread but wanted you to see it. It may be worth trying to contact Nick Lembo for help and assistance.

Taken from the underground forum.

Hereís an excellent article on the importance of fighters going through the amateur ranks before turning pro. Written written by Nick Lembo, Counsel to the New Jersey State Athletic Control Board, and the man responsible for mixed martial arts being sanctioned in NJ, it details the value of amateur MMA.

The Value of an Amateur MMA Program
    By Nick Lembo
    July 2009

It was February 11, 2006 and promoter Kipp Kollar was presenting another installment of his professional mixed martial arts show, Reality Fighting, inside the Etess Arena at the Taj Mahal.

Chris Fanelli was making his professional debut on that card against a very good fighter, Chris Schlesinger of Bellmore Kickboxing. Schlesinger won that fight by submission.

After that bout ended, I approached Fanelli and spoke to him about the fight. Fanelli mentioned about the adreneline dump that he encountered during the fight and the emotions of fighting in front of so many friends and family in such a large venue.

While driving home back up the parkway to Ocean County that night, Fanelliís words kept replaying in my mind. I started thinking how mixed martial artists go from jiu-jitsu or grappling tournaments to their first professional fight. The focus of one fight in one cage in a large venue is much different then a tournament with several mats and a crowd focusing on several different points of interest.

The next night, I was on the road again to another show. This night, I would be attending an amateur boxing event. I watched the trainer coaching these young fighters as they worked to develop their skills to enable them to have a successful professional future.

On that drive home, I decided that New Jersey needed an amateur mixed martial arts program.

After developing some rules and procedures and training officials, New Jersey held its first regulated approved amateur mixed martial arts event, in the Atlantic City Convention Center.

Since then, New Jersey hosts about thirty amateur mixed martial arts events a year, from Newark to Wildwood. Promoters like Lou Neglia, Kipp Kollar and Karriem Abdallah have held several amateur shows while New Breed Fighters has become a staple in Atlantic City and the Asylum Fight League regularly hosts shows in central New Jersey.

The amateur program allows competitors to test their skills in the cage for the first time and experience the emotions and adrenaline that comes along.

It allows returning competitors to test themselves further against tougher opponents and allows trainers to work on game plans that feature strengths. It allows competitors to be exposed to opponents with different strengths, skill sets and body types.

The amateur rules limit ground and pound and force the competitors to work on their jiu-jitsu, balance, positioning and defense. Sure, ground and pound is an integral part of mixed martial arts, but you must be technically proficient in jiu-jitsu to go anywhere in this sport.

It is an opportunity for fighters to hone their skills and try new manuevers without the attachment of a loss on their professional record which will affect their marketability and pay rate.

I recieved some flak from the mixed martial arts press in February after approving Tuan Pham this past February to make his pro debut against a fighter from a good school that had over 10 pro fights. I did not hesitate to approve the match because i had seen Tuanís skills and demeanor in several amateur fights. Tuan ended up winning the fight by first round knockout. The amateur program provides me with a gauge to monitor match making of pro fighters when they make their transition to the professional level.

I am very pleased to see the number of amateur fighters who have made seamless transitions to the pro level.

I am also pleased when numerous pro fighters come up to me to say that they wish this program existed when they were starting out in mixed martial arts competitions.

At each event, new schools are having their fighters participate in the program and are joining the ranks of the many fight camps that have participated in our program since its inception.

In closing, I ask that trainers and amateurs takť advantage of this amateur program. Do not rush to turn pro, once you do, there is no turning back. Use the amateur program to develop your skills and work on all your weaknesses. In the current state of the sport, it is very important to have a pristine record against seasoned opponents to get noticed by the bigger organizations which will pay you better purses and provide you with needed exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt T View Post
    Mc6pack I just posted this on another thread but wanted you to see it. It may be worth trying to contact Nick Lembo for help and assistance.

Taken from the underground forum.
    great idea, im on it.

Count me in on this, I'll help in anyway I can Alan, you have my email address now so just get in touch, I'll do my best to help out, it's high time something was put into plan. It's going to be a long hard path, but it needs to be done and the sooner the better.

F

I think it is a great idea. I've worked as a commissioner/inspector for the UFC UK events. The NSAC trained the officials and the UFC follows the NASC regulations as a blue print fro their shows whenever they are not in a sanctioned jurisdiction. Having worked under these regulations, I believe it is an excellent system and believe implementing it in the UK would be a good thing for UK MMA.

In order for the commission to be efficient it needs to be ruled as a completely independent organisation. Everybody involved should not have any interest in any MMA organisations (such as promoters, managers, trainers, media, ...). I was a commissioner then I chose to manage a fighter therefore I had to stop being a commissioner because of the obvious conflict of interest. The commission needs to sanction promoters and fighters based on their respectability and not based on their relationship with the fighters or promoters. And again the commission may have to reprimand certain fighters and promoters and should feel free of doing it if needed.

It'd be more than happy to share my experience with you guys and based on what I said above, I would not be an active member of the commission. I would just like to help getting it up and running. I believe the regulations will bring safety, respectability and professionalism to our sport. I can also ask people at the NSAC to give us some tips (something that I have discussed many times with them before).