The World Kickboxing Association (Scotland) are including MMA in their Scottish open championships this year for the first time. The tournament will be held on the 19th and 20th September in Airdrie Scotland. The WKA (Scotland) are seeking Sport Scotland recgonition for the combat sport's they represent at amateur level and are willing to represent MMA if this is acceptable to the clubs and gyms in Scotland. The WKA are not proposing to take over MMA before anyone jumps at that conclusion, what they are trying to do is represent the sport at amateur level (which means unpaid). If the tournament is a success and is supported by the majority of clubs and gym's they (WKA) will assist in the set up of an independant MMA representitive body franchised to the WKA if that is what the clubs want.

I have been working with the president of the WKA (Scotland) on this for sometime now and I think it is a good opertunity to get things moving in the right direction. The body will be set up in such a way that the members ie fighters, coaches, promoters and officials all have an equal say in the set up and running.

This was not supposed to be released until next week, but I think it may have a bearing on what is being discussed here.

Just for the record I am not a member or official of the WKA, I have just found myself in a position to help all parties concerned. I put this in as the WKA president and I have the same name but are not related.

For further information PM me.

Stuart Allan (MC)