Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Interested Parties

The World Kickboxing Association (Scotland) are including MMA in their Scottish open championships this year for the first time. The tournament will be held on the 19th and 20th September in Airdrie Scotland. The WKA (Scotland) are seeking Sport Scotland recgonition for the combat sport's they represent at amateur level and are willing to represent MMA if this is acceptable to the clubs and gyms in Scotland. The WKA are not proposing to take over MMA before anyone jumps at that conclusion, what they are trying to do is represent the sport at amateur level (which means unpaid). If the tournament is a success and is supported by the majority of clubs and gym's they (WKA) will assist in the set up of an independant MMA representitive body franchised to the WKA if that is what the clubs want.

I have been working with the president of the WKA (Scotland) on this for sometime now and I think it is a good opertunity to get things moving in the right direction. The body will be set up in such a way that the members ie fighters, coaches, promoters and officials all have an equal say in the set up and running.

This was not supposed to be released until next week, but I think it may have a bearing on what is being discussed here.

Just for the record I am not a member or official of the WKA, I have just found myself in a position to help all parties concerned. I put this in as the WKA president and I have the same name but are not related.

For further information PM me.

Stuart Allan (MC)

Pro Fighter
    self-appointed boss of the forum

It would certainly make sense speaking to the WKA about perhaps trying to extend that in to the rest of the UK.

It may make much more sense to approach this from an amateur level initially. If, in conjunction with WKA, we can get recognition and governance for the amateur sport, it will make the professional governance easier to establish

The WKA in the rest of the UK are aware of this and will be looking at Scotland with a great deal of interest.

The only way for a GB to gain recognition from councils etc is to be a representitive of a recognised sport, (please can someone tell me what the English equivelant to Sport Scotland is). This can only be done at amateur level, the GB must hold championships for amateurs. When this is in position then the GB can sanction titles, fights etc.

If the GB is newly set up then it takes 2 years for recognition. It's not as simple as everyone getting toghether and agreeing the rules, you must meet all the criteria, thing's like police disclosure for officials, child protection officials, the active promotion of your sport at amateur level.

Very interested in assisting getting the governing body off the ground. I would really be keen in assisting with judging and reffing guidelines. I have been trying to get in to this type of work for a while there doesn't seem to be any guidelines on a defined route into this. It just seems to be based on who you know and previous experience in MMA anything competetive I have done is traditional stuff not MMA.

*shudders at the thought of a kickboxing organisation regulating MMA in the UK*

Pro Fighter

Great posts Stumac.

I don't think there is an English Sports council, there is UK Sport - http://www.uksport.gov.uk/ - which I guess would cover Scotland too.

Pro Fighter

Quote Originally Posted by kainer2 View Post
    tbh, I don't share the same concerns. Fact is, it will give MMA a route in and therefore should be considered

Having been to MMA events that have been run or "sanctioned" by kickboxing organisations, i would respectfully disagree with you

The WKA have franchises already in North America which represent MMA.

They are in aposition to do somethime now not two years from now when it may be to late, the list of venues willing to hold MMA shows is shrinking and its only a mater of time before some local authoritie try ban it all together.

I have found that the people I have been dealing with at the WKA are dedicated to martial art's of all kinds, but more importantly for me they recognise all other GB's, so if you are a WKA member they do not have a problem with you fighting on a show sanctioned by another GB and any insurance you have with them is still valid if the show is sanctioned.

If you do not like the body that represents you then you have three choices
    1/ Put up with it.
    2/ Leave and join something else, if there is anything else.
    3/ This is my favorite change the GB from the inside so that they represent you the way they are supposed to.

If things go as planned then the WKA will not regulate MMA in Scotland they will assist the set up of a representitive body, which will be franchised by the WKA. This means that the MMA membership are the only ones able to decide what happens with MMA.

Having been to MMA events that have been run or "sanctioned" by kickboxing organisations, i would respectfully disagree with you
    Can you give some examples of your concerns