Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Interested Parties

So basically joining up with the WKA will give them unprecedented power to control the scene even though Kickboxing orgs have a terrible track record here in the UK.

Whilst also joining the WKA is no different from a few UK MMA shows coming together under a banner...that's say BAMMA and all of a sudden saying we are the governing body.

The governing body has to come from outside the sport(s)

Pro Fighter
    self-appointed boss of the forum

Ian, leaping ahead a bit mate.... I have suggested speaking with them... not signing a contract in blood!

Put me down on the list for helpers, I'll be happy to spread the word to the media outlets I write for; just PM me on here for a lengthier chat.

F

Quote Originally Posted by Stumac View Post
    Can you give some examples of your concerns
    Golden Belt have sanctioned shows e.g Fight First (remember that anyone)

Plus i've been to another event sanctioned by them and the referees just didn't know jack about MMA rules whilst lecturing me on Heath and Safety (which i thought was nice)

Plus i have seen them at other events and was just embarrassed

Plus i lost count at how many micky mouse KB shows do MMA fights then don''t record the results

And to be fair Kickboxing shows in this country are mostly way behind MMA events in production and professionalism (although i know there are exceptions)

Plus if you ever go on AX, you will see what a sorry state of affairs Kickboxing is in in this country (both Thai and the shiney pants kind)

Quote Originally Posted by kainer2 View Post
    So basically joining up with the WKA will give them unprecedented power to control the scene even though Kickboxing orgs have a terrible track record here in the UK.

Whilst also joining the WKA is no different from a few UK MMA shows coming together under a banner...that's say BAMMA and all of a sudden saying we are the governing body.

The governing body has to come from outside the sport(s)
    I dont see where joining up with the WKA gives them unpresidented power to control the sport. I have stated that the deal that is currently on the table for MMA gym's in Scotland is to accept the help of the WKA in setting up a rep body.

The differance between shows coming together and calling them selves a GB and a WKA franchised rep body is the shows are promotions and regardless of how well they get on they are competeing with one another for the fan's buck. The rep body as proposed will not hold any for profit show's but will assist where required the MMA members, this includes fighters gym's and promoters.

What outside body is out there at the moment that is willing to run a not for profit GB.

I cant really see how it would harm our cause if we were to affliliate with WFK in the future, aslong as they themselves are building a good reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by kainer2 View Post
    Golden Belt have sanctioned shows e.g Fight First (remember that anyone)

Plus i've been to another event sanctioned by them and the referees just didn't know jack about MMA rules whilst lecturing me on Heath and Safety (which i thought was nice)

Plus i have seen them at other events and was just embarrassed

Plus i lost count at how many micky mouse KB shows do MMA fights then don''t record the results

And to be fair Kickboxing shows in this country are mostly way behind MMA events in production and professionalism (although i know there are exceptions)

Plus if you ever go on AX, you will see what a sorry state of affairs Kickboxing is in in this country (both Thai and the shiney pants kind)
    I can not comment on the shows that you have mentioned as I was not there but, MMA is new to the WKA (Scotland) and as such they would be looking for the existing promotions and gym's to take the lead in how the rep body is set up and what power they have. They would also want existing officials to come over to the rep body and do what they are doing at the moment only with a more uniform format and more accountabilty.

As far as the the profesional running of shows is concerned the WKA would not be running MMA show's it would be the same promoters running them for the same profits/loss under rules and regulations agreed by all. The only differance being that the Rep Body will be negotiating to get you into bigger better venues with increased capacity.

To let you know where I am coming from.
    I work as a ring announcer, this being split between MMA, MT and Kickboxing. I am not a member of the WKA or linked to any particular promotion.
    I found out that MMA show's in Scotland struggle for venues because of the negative publicity the sport attracts in the media. I offered to help if I could, having worked with orginisations in the past that have come up against similar problems. I did not know what I was letting myself in for, but when you talk to council officials that respond to a request for a meeting with "sorry but I dont really fancy that sort of thing (MMA)" what do you do. I came to realise that MMA promoters are used to hearing "NO WAY" all the time and just moving on to the next venue, but thats not me. One thing all council officials have in common is they all have a boss so thats where I went. I am now negotiating with that council and other's to try and find some nutral ground. What is clear is that the ones that do not accept MMA now, never will unless it is regulated and recognised.

Long story short. I found myself in the middle of this, fair enough it was my own doing, but I am up for the fight. I think I have put a good deal together with the WKA (Scotland), a deal that I think the clubs and promoters should at least consider, I will not work with anyone in this situation that is only out to line their own pockets with out giving something back. The sport is what drives the head coach's that is for sure, most are not interested in the politics but the dedication I have seen over the last couple of years in MMA in the UK is increadible. What drives me is that I dont like to be told "NO WAY" by the people who's wages I pay, not without giving me a good reason and a chance to reply. I'm too old now to fight in the cage having found MMA to late, but I will put my suite on and fight with bureaucrats all day.
    I am happy to do what I have been doing for the last year or so because I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, the only thing I ask is not to dismiss the work I and others have done without at least thinking it through. So you dont like kickboxing/ Mauy Thai/Boxing so what, if working with the WKA can help UK MMA then surely you can at least sit down and talk about it.

Going out now to get away from this computer.
    Stu

Quote Originally Posted by Stumac View Post
    I can not comment on the shows that you have mentioned as I was not there but, MMA is new to the WKA (Scotland) and as such they would be looking for the existing promotions and gym's to take the lead in how the rep body is set up and what power they have. They would also want existing officials to come over to the rep body and do what they are doing at the moment only with a more uniform format and more accountabilty.

As far as the the profesional running of shows is concerned the WKA would not be running MMA show's it would be the same promoters running them for the same profits/loss under rules and regulations agreed by all. The only differance being that the Rep Body will be negotiating to get you into bigger better venues with increased capacity.
    Promoters don't need Reps negotiating with venues they need to be governed and regulated. And recognition will come from that

And again the WKA is no different to a bunch of UK MMA promoters sitting down and doing it themselves

governing body HAS to come from outside the box, the combat sports sphere. Existing combat sports players will not be good enough

mighty mouse

i think this is a f**KIN gud idea and would love to help in any way i can