Thread: Setting up a not-for-profit orgainsation.

Hybrid View

Lovely, Yet Evil
    Beligerent Forum Dictator

Default Setting up a not-for-profit orgainsation.

When thinking about a UK MMA body I cant help feeling that it will go like it always does.... Good intentions, lots of hard work, things going well.. Then egos/ drama/ politics gets in the way.

I would personally like to see it ran in a more organised way.
    And more importantly it has to be open and transparent.

This is why I think it should be set up as a not-for-profit charitable organisation.

This is not uncommon. I had many dealings with the Scottish Thai Boxing Association, which set itself up as a charity. I also worked for a charity for a number of years. I personally think that this is the way to go and is something myself (who has been doing free stuff for UK MMA for years!) and others would get behind.

This ensures that the trustees (quite probably people like promoters/ trainers etc) will be working towards the best interests of the governing body and cannot make a profit from it.

It also means no single person/ organisation would have full control.

It would also be possible to tender for grants and donations from the lottery/ government/ events etc.

Whilst most of the work done by people (especially the trustees) would be for free, there might be scope for some part time people (lawyers fees, doctors, media people etc). I doubt there would be anyone making their living off it! It is also possible to get considerable charitable discounts on things like IT equipment.

Yes it would be a long road and require work, collaboration and lots of forms to fill in. But I think it is the only way to legitimate the sport in the UK and ensure that we have a honest, open organisation we can both help and feel proud of.

I have quite a few friends who have went down this route before and I would be willing to talk to them to see about getting the ball rolling if we have the right people on-board who have the best in mind for the sport.

Here is a link if anyone is interested.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndC...oups/DG_066666
    Blow job is better than no job

Voted "Most Sexiest Poster 2003"
    Voted "Most Evil Poster 2004"
    Voted "Most Absent Poster 2007"
    Voted "Joint Sexiest (Male) Poster 2008"

Sounds great Godders, it has to be transaparent as I said in my first post on the subject. The poeple doing this need to be trusted. So if they have nothing to gain, anyone who partakes should be trustworthy
    "No one deserves to be unbeaten" Dan Hardy post Cage Warriors Strike force 1 2005
    "I wanna be in fights that make history" Paul Daley post UFC 108 2010
    MMA Connect

yeah, this is exactly the approach I was thinking of myself, however I would like to be albe to speak with some one a BBBoC and find out why it was decided that they would be LLC, there have to be some solid reason's, having laibility cover for one, I like the idea of having a safety net, any debt etc would be the companies.. I'm not entirely sure how its gonna work with financial cover as an organisation.. can anyone elaborate ?

I agree that a non profit org is DEFINATELY the way we should opperate .
    Last edited by Mc6pack; 27-07-2009 at 03:06 PM.

Right, if we start as an Organisation, we will write a Constitution elect a board an become an unincorporated organisations.

An unincorporated association has no separate legal existence and therefore cannot acquire property, enter contracts, or commence legal proceedings in its own name. Moreover, individual members of the management committee (also known as trustees) can be held personally responsible for the organisation’s obligations and debts.

Some funding available for non profit orgs.

http://www.access-funds.co.uk/

Lovely, Yet Evil

Just to clarify just because a organisation registers as a charity doesnt mean it cant charge for its services.

What it does mean it though is that it has to be transparent, limited assets and be shown not to make a profit.

I.e. if you charged clubs or promoters or whatever you could keep that money aside for lawyers fees.

Pro Fighter
    self-appointed boss of the forum

.... and "expenses"?

Lovely, Yet Evil

Just for the record.
    Im not Marc Goddard, hes the other famous Godders

And secondly I am by no means going to spearhead any of this. I will get involved and help in anyway I can. But there are other people far more dedicated, influential (and more importantly have more time!) who need to be driving this.

I would like to see the UK MMA body as a recognised charity and something we can be proud of.