When thinking about a UK MMA body I cant help feeling that it will go like it always does.... Good intentions, lots of hard work, things going well.. Then egos/ drama/ politics gets in the way.

I would personally like to see it ran in a more organised way.
And more importantly it has to be open and transparent.

This is why I think it should be set up as a not-for-profit charitable organisation.

This is not uncommon. I had many dealings with the Scottish Thai Boxing Association, which set itself up as a charity. I also worked for a charity for a number of years. I personally think that this is the way to go and is something myself (who has been doing free stuff for UK MMA for years!) and others would get behind.

This ensures that the trustees (quite probably people like promoters/ trainers etc) will be working towards the best interests of the governing body and cannot make a profit from it.

It also means no single person/ organisation would have full control.

It would also be possible to tender for grants and donations from the lottery/ government/ events etc.

Whilst most of the work done by people (especially the trustees) would be for free, there might be scope for some part time people (lawyers fees, doctors, media people etc). I doubt there would be anyone making their living off it! It is also possible to get considerable charitable discounts on things like IT equipment.

Yes it would be a long road and require work, collaboration and lots of forms to fill in. But I think it is the only way to legitimate the sport in the UK and ensure that we have a honest, open organisation we can both help and feel proud of.

I have quite a few friends who have went down this route before and I would be willing to talk to them to see about getting the ball rolling if we have the right people on-board who have the best in mind for the sport.

Here is a link if anyone is interested.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndC...oups/DG_066666