Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cortisone injection in knee

Default Cortisone injection in knee

Anyone had this ? what are your thoughts on it ? im due at the hospital on wednesday and ive been offered a cortisone injection in my knee but im concerned its only a temporary fix and if i continue to train i may cause my knee more damage...

Dont be scared Homie Plastikman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Willie-Scott View Post
    ive been offered a cortisone injection in my knee but im concerned its only a temporary fix and if i continue to train i may cause my knee more damage...
    Correct. Def not a permenant fix, and getting the shots regularly will make the problem worse.
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Plastikman View Post
    Correct. Def not a permenant fix, and getting the shots regularly will make the problem worse.

i think you can only have three injections cant you? unless thats three per joint or something.

it's just a powerful anti inlammatory isn't it?
    man, when you're the nail, hang in there....until the day you become the hammer

You can only have 3 cortisone injections, and they are useless. I had 3 in my shoulder and it did nothing other than cause pain during and after the shot.

Yep as above, you want to steer clear of corticol steriods unless there is no other option. Training whilst on cortisone increases the chance of and often leads to total rupture.
    Best option is rest, not what anybody wants to hear but after a long period of rest then rehab if the problems still remains you might be looking into surgery.

Pro Fighter
    self-appointed boss of the forum

What is actually up with your knee?

I have had a lot of knee injuries - torn MCL, torn popliteus, lots of meniscus problems. I've had surgery and most have been resolved. However, the I now have a large bucket handle tear in the meniscus, which means my knee 'locks' whenever it is fully bent.

This is essentially 20-30 times a training session. It pops straight back in with a crack and a little discomfort, so I ignore it... but I am considering seeking medical advice towards the end of the year... before I am 40!

Aaron they arent actually sure whats wrong with my knee , ive had xrays then ultra scan and they mentioned giving me a cortisone injection .. My knee can lock at times when straightened but like yourself it immediately unlocks (so to speak ) , ill stay clear of the injection me thinks

Pro Fighter
    self-appointed boss of the forum

hmmmm, mine locks went bent.... between us we have a fully functioning knee... oh and one completely fucked one!

I know this isn't an option for everyone. But when I do seek medical advice, I am going private with this. When I tore my MCL, I used NHS and it took 9 months to get the scan, diagnosis and surgery.... when Matt did his back, he went from consultation to surgery in about 4 weeks!

Aaron for me to get this far has been about 13 months or so