Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cortisone injection in knee

Pro Fighter
    self-appointed boss of the forum

Dog shit mate... I'd never do it agian... for colds and flu, NHS is fine, but for something important and potentially needing surgery, I'd definately go private.

It took me 4 months to get an MRI scan!

Guys thanks for the input anyways

Pro Fighter
    self-appointed boss of the forum

good luck with it fella... don't let them fob you off with whatever they think is convienient for them!

I know its not specifically knee related but I got two cortizone shots for a chronic shoulder injury about 2-3 years ago. Basically i damaged my shoulder and couldn't use my right arm without severe pain - eventually it got to the point where I couldnt even lift my arm 6 inches from my waist without excrutiating pain. So.......the first injection "cured" the problem within 24 hours. The NHS physio gave me some exercises to do but the problem came back worse within about 3-4 months. I did do some light training during that time which probably didn't help. Anyway, they decided to give me a 2nd shot which again "cured" the problem within 24 hours. However, the pain came back MUCH worse again after about 6 weeks.

At that point i decided to forget the injections and NHS physio and went to see a private sports physio. She was great. Gave me a whole new regime to work on which pretty much sorted the problem within about 6-8 weeks. Never been bothered with it since!

So, moral of the story is a) cortizone shots just mask the symptoms and don't really address the cause and b) invest in a good physio because they can make a huge difference.

All the best with the knee!!!

Thanks guys ill await till i speak to the consultant and see what she comes up with..