Both are top BJJ players - whats your thoughts

NO GI =
    GI =
    MMA =
    http://free-mma-video.blogspot.com

How
    Who

10 letters

Rickson has retired and hasn't fought in BJJ or MMA for a long time!

Rickson was one of the best in his day, and Maia is also one of the best now. Pointless making comparisons because of how quickly the sport is developing.

I'm sure Maia would beat Renzo in BJJ or MMA though, seeing as Renzo is more current I feel a comparison can be made.

Quote Originally Posted by Annitsford View Post
    Both are top BJJ players - whats your thoughts

NO GI =
    GI =
    MMA =
    NO GI = Rickson by armbar
    GI = Rickson by armbar
    MMA = Rickson by armbar

sorry couldn't resist

I think Rickson would beat Maia in No Gi, Gi and MMA.....

I've heard too many stories even quite recently of BJJ Black Belts/champions training with Rickson and getting destroyed by him....

Off the top of my head - Paolo Filho and Andre Galvao are two examples...

Filho : "I have trained with all of the best fighters from Carlson Gracie team -they were all tough and I wouldn't want to diminish how tough they are, but no one has EVER done to me what Rickson has done recently in training"

Galvao : "He just fucking killed me man, just killed me...."

I do think Maia would beat Renzo though....

Slightly Bonkers shakus maximus's Avatar

Rickson by what ever he wanted
    Armbar = gi
    Armbar = no gi
    Armbar after flattening him with a superman punch = MMA

Alway's makes me laugh when Rickson is put above everyone else on the planet.

On what basis can you draw that conclusion.

There is a friend of a friend who's cousin once saw someone who said that they're brother rolled with Rickson and he was absolutley amazing.

I think Bruce Lee would beat everyone that ever lived or will ever live!
    Oharra's treachery has disgraced us!

www.klfmartialarts.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I think Demian and Rickson trained together recently, I am not sure if he is one to roll and tell, but perhaps someone has some feedback on their training sessions?

[QUOTE=OHarra;397669]

There is a friend of a friend who's cousin once saw someone who said that they're brother rolled with Rickson and he was absolutley amazing.

QUOTE]

I think I would much rather take the informed opinions of GREATS like Fabio Gurgel, Galvao, Filho, Marcelo and so on regarding Ricksons grappling prowess over some uninformed person who thinks that just because Rickson doesnt compete means that his bjj must naturally suck!

i didnt realise maia was only a purple belt when BJ Penn won the world championships at black belt
    Luke 'El Nino' Dalmedo
    Team Crossface
    Mill Hill BJJ
    Pro Record: 2-1-0

Quote Originally Posted by OHarra View Post
    Alway's makes me laugh when Rickson is put above everyone else on the planet.

On what basis can you draw that conclusion.

I think Bruce Lee would beat everyone that ever lived or will ever live!
    I don't think Rickson would fair well against any decent MMA fighter these days. He never fought tough MMA guys even in his day.

However, in BJJ just look at what everyone says about him (as people have posted). If you have a recent world champion (Galvao, 2007) saying he couldn't do anything against Rickson, that has to count for something. Galvao is not the same team so has no reason to talk Rickson up. He said he did sparring from mount with Rickson... when Galvao started in mount he said Rickson escaped every time, when Rickson started in mount he tapped Galvao every time.

Now, whether that means he would win in competition I don't know. People would have a game plan which I can guarantee would be based around working the stand-up for a long time and trying to gas him.

No doubt though, he must be absolutely fucking awesome.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/