Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: to Gi or not to Gi?

Default to Gi or not to Gi?

sorry for the lame topic title

i know the basic differences lol,

• just wondering how much they actually differ?

• what are the main differences?

• is there still a belt system in no Gi BJJ?

• what is it like to compete in a Gi only comp when you have trained with no Gi?

• which should i choose?

thanks for taking the time to look through

Quote Originally Posted by JJ13 View Post

• what is it like to compete in a Gi only comp when you have trained with no Gi?

• which should i choose?

1 - they are completely different
    2 - gi is all grips, no gi has little or no grips
    3 - some people make one up - very few
    4 - you'll get crushed, unless you're amazing
    5 - both
    PROFESSIONAL MMA SHIT.
    LIKES FREE STUFF.
    GIVE ME MONEY.

would you say its a smaller transition to move from Gi to no Gi if needed but the learning curve would be harsher if you trained with no Gi the majority of the time?

• which should i choose?

I almost totally disagree with the above answers. I think...

1. They don't really differ much at all. When I went to the Marcelo Garcia seminar in Brighton he said his gi and nogi games are basically exactly the same. All the fundamentals are the same; hip movement, hip pressure, staying tight etc. The gi just adds some extra open guard and choke options.

2. Main differences are as I mentioned, the gi adds in open guards where you can easily control your opponent from range and you can use the gi to choke. Training in the gi is better imo as it slows things down and allows you to work more techniques without losing position in a scramble so much.

3. Some nogi systems have rank. Eddie Bravo ranks as per BJJ grades but under different criteria. Luta Livre has a system with the same criteria but different grades (i.e. belt colours). Other systems have no rank or might just have levels like "instructor" (Erik Paulson's CSW).

4. Depends how much nogi you've done and what level gi guys you fight. One guy from Gracie Barra Swansea did a gi comp and won it after only training nogi.

5. Do both. I would recommend training mainly gi at first and maybe one nogi session per week.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

both are great fun with slightly different challenges.grips etc
    i've noticed a great improvement in my game since i started wearing the gi more.

i love doing both

cheers for the replys guys,

i think i will start off with noGi, until i can get my self a Gi sorted(where is the best place to get one?), i pretty much certain that i will leave my traditional JJ school and head over to the wolfslair for there public lessons starting tomorrow

would you say its a smaller transition to move from Gi to no Gi if needed but the learning curve would be harsher if you trained with no Gi the majority of the time?
    i think if you're intending to do both (which i would recommend), you should train more gi than no-gi.
    there are a tonne more techniques with the gi, and a tonne more obstacles you will have to learn to deal with than no-gi.
    better to learn the harder way from the beginning imo, you'll be glad you did in the long run.
    PROFESSIONAL MMA SHIT.
    LIKES FREE STUFF.
    GIVE ME MONEY.

NO-GI FTW....
    GI is just not me...

Quote Originally Posted by markjitsu View Post
    i think if you're intending to do both (which i would recommend), you should train more gi than no-gi.
    there are a tonne more techniques with the gi, and a tonne more obstacles you will have to learn to deal with than no-gi.
    better to learn the harder way from the beginning imo, you'll be glad you did in the long run.
    thats what im going to do, but as i dont have a Gi i will attend noGi sessions (starting tomorrow) until i can sort a Gi out, then i will focus more BJJ with Gi

anybody have any idea of what lays ahead of me for my first session?, i just hyped to start learning, and cant wait

also where can i buy a Gi?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    1. They don't really differ much at all. When I went to the Marcelo Garcia seminar in Brighton he said his gi and nogi games are basically exactly the same. All the fundamentals are the same; hip movement, hip pressure, staying tight etc. The gi just adds some extra open guard and choke options.
    that's easy for him to say, as he's totally amazing at both.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    4. Depends how much nogi you've done and what level gi guys you fight. One guy from Gracie Barra Swansea did a gi comp and won it after only training nogi.

5. .
    well that would be the amazing guy i was referring to, either that or everyone else must've been crap surely?
    PROFESSIONAL MMA SHIT.
    LIKES FREE STUFF.
    GIVE ME MONEY.