Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much training time do people put into fighting in amateur mma?

i am looking to fight in an amateur fight. can anyone tell me exactly what techniques are legal as regards to striking?

strikes to the body only
    hurtlocker mma (side show) 2-1-0

Quote Originally Posted by coleman.sensei View Post
    i am looking to fight in an amateur fight. can anyone tell me exactly what techniques are legal as regards to striking?
    knees to the head on the floor are legal though

The guys I coach who have been competing at amateur in the MMA League tend to do about 5 days / week on technical training (Muay Thai and BJJ/MMA) and then double up some days on strength and conditioning work.

I would say that amateur competition has provided invaluable experience in terms of getting used to competing in front of an audience, dealing with the nerves / adrenaline, making weight and getting fitness levels sorted. I also encourage my fighters to compete at amateur level in Muay Thai as well as I feel it is beneficial to isolate the striking element. One pro fighter I work with has often said to me that he wishes there had been amateur MMA events when he started rather than having to jump in at the deep end under pro rules at a big event (Cagewarriors in his case).
    Last edited by jon eaglesteamthai; 16-08-2009 at 08:00 PM. Reason: typing error
    eaglesteamthai.com
    muay thai / submission wrestling / mma

Per week I did 1x weights , 1x kickboxing, 3X MMA , 2x Cardio or Circuits for about six weeks beforehand.

I was in alright shape but still could have been better, its pretty knackering physically, especially having a break and then doing another 5 minute round with someone else!