Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Bjj street fight

Quote Originally Posted by Andy K View Post
    how can you think that bjj does not work in a street fight, it depends upon how you utilise bjj, for example flopping on your back to guard would not really be so smart imho, my coach Chris Hauter has an old video set called bjj for the street it's worth watching if you are interested in the street aspect of bjj

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFI2U8C3Wwo
    Good post but the video contradicts everything you said

Quote Originally Posted by Danny@CBD View Post
    BJJ works on the street, i wont incriminate myself any further lol
    Please tell me more

This is the sort of BJJ i recommend for the street.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WC8Lh8k-Ic

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Hayes View Post
    This is the sort of BJJ i recommend for the street.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WC8Lh8k-Ic

Good video, but just to clarify would you stay on your feet at all times?

There are no hard and fast rules in a street encounter and every situation
    demands its own approach depending on a variety of factors.
    Firstly I would want to take my attacker out of his comfort zone-
    I.e I would not stand and trade blows with a boxer but I would with a brawler
    because I believe my stand up would be better as I am trained.

If i DID feel it was appropriate to take a situation to the ground in the street
    I would only use top position and favour knee on chest over mount or side control so my knees wouldn't make contact with concrete.I would also
    be able to jump to standing very quickly and soccer kick the head.
    I would also favour elbowing and punching my attacker from knee on chest
    before choking him and I would NEVER go for an arm bar because they do not work.You will break the guys arm and he'll continue fighting in my experience.

Going for an arm bar also potentially loses you top position if he escapes and puts you in contact with the concrete and your attackers friends,unlike knee on chest where you can pound your attacker but be on your toes at the first sign of his mates.
    Last edited by Simon Hayes; 27-08-2009 at 09:47 AM.

steve_langford

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Hayes View Post
    There are no hard and fast rules in a street encounter and every situation
    demands its own approach depending on a variety of factors.
    Firstly I would want to take my attacker out of his comfort zone-
    I.e I would not stand and trade blows with a boxer but I would with a brawler
    because I believe my stand up would be better as I am trained.

If i DID feel it was appropriate to take a situation to the ground in the street
    I would only use top position and favour knee on chest over mount or side control so my knees wouldn't make contact with concrete.I would also
    be able to jump to standing very quickly and soccer kick the head.
    I would also favour elbowing and punching my attacker from knee on chest
    before choking him and I would NEVER go for an arm bar because they do not work.You will break the guys arm and he'll continue fighting in my experience.

Going for an arm bar also potentially loses you top position if he escapes and puts you in contact with the concrete and your attackers friends,unlike knee on chest where you can pound your attacker but be on your toes at the first sign of his mates.
    ^^^^ another great post Simon , Im 100% with this.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingTriangle View Post
    This is only a small clip of a serise of videos that Chris produced a long time ago, Chris has been in the US Marines and in the LAPD and is a very experienced bjj black belt so I'm guessing the things he suggests regarding a street fight situation were well tested, so to speak.
    ''fren, purple must smash people. SMASH THEM.
    that is hequirement for purple
    purple belt dangerus man
    if purple belt cannot smash he not real purple'' Creonte

I Dont like the idea of running in with your hands and forearms covering your face kinda hard to see and open to a good kick in the bollocks or an uppercut
    if the guy was milling like that i think going half man and going for a double/single could work better?

I totally agree with prof Simon on the knee on belly thing I can only image what kind of shit a bjj black belt could do to you if he really fucking ment it OUCH
    ‎"He who goes to bed with itchy bum, wake up with stinky finger."

[QUOTE=rjd;413623]I Dont like the idea of running in with your hands and forearms covering your face kinda hard to see and open to a good kick in the bollocks or an uppercut

I was thinking the same your whole rib cage and groin are exposed and a knee to the balls would definetly stop him, but I'm sure if you were swift enough you get away with it

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingTriangle View Post
    I said flopping to guard was a poor idea, in the video serise Chris states that mount, side position and the back are the positions to use in a street fight, on the video he contradicts nothing that I state, unless i'm missing something or you are watching a different video to me??????
    ''fren, purple must smash people. SMASH THEM.
    that is hequirement for purple
    purple belt dangerus man
    if purple belt cannot smash he not real purple'' Creonte