Thread: New Ibjjf 'no Gi' Comp Uniform Rules

Default New Ibjjf 'no Gi' Comp Uniform Rules

"THE ATHLETES WILLING TO COMPETE IN JIU-JITSU NO-GI EVENTS SHOULD WEAR A BLACK BOARD SHORT (SEE REQUIREMENTS) AND A BLACK OR WHITE RASH GUARD HAVING AT LEAST 10% OF THE FABRIC WITH THE COLOR ACCORDING TO HIS/HER BELT RANK."

http://www.ibjjf.org/nogiuniform.htm

I think it is a cynical money making scheme.How long before 'official' uniform stockists are announced.

Some people have made comments that the sport needs to present a professional image.I completely disagree.For me No Gi BJJ or Submission Grappling (whatever you want to call it) is all about individuality,you shouldn't be tied to a uniform.No Gi has more in common with Surfing (which is where the clothes we wear when we fight evolve from).Board Shorts and Rash Guards are surfing gear.I feel the whole No Gi competition
    scene should be moving towards a more "X GAMES" vibe than an "Olympic Vibe" and that kind of look will attract major sponsors and T.V. deals quicker than all the athletes looking more like Olympic Wrestlers or gymnasts.

How ridiculous would it be to see skateboarders or BMX Vert riders wearing colour coded uniforms,well thats how i feel wearing Uniforms for No Gi grappling will look.

The sport should look colourful and individual as it does now,trying to make it fit some old fashioned preconceived athletic look will age it considerably immediately and make it harder to market.

Jesus,people who don't understand grappling have a hard enough time acccepting it as a spectator sport in the first place,it'll be even worse if all the colour and character is banned.

My opinion.

Can't argue with that. I kinda get where they're coming from with the "uniform" thing in terms of the look, but I completely agree that no-gi has always been the more open and expressive side of BJJ, from the moves even down to what people wear.

Only "rules" I would have is that males should wear a top of some sort (vest, tshirt, rashguard), but that's part hygiene, part aesthetics.

If the IBJJF want competitors to look presentable, then they should provide the kit (as they did previously). A fair half way between the 2 would be to say black shorts, but any top of your choice (or 2 tops of different colours to help the refs tell fighters apart).

Oh and Simon, Budovideos will be the official stockist (http://www.budovideos.com/shop/custo...me.php?cat=796). Their stall is going to make a killing that weekend. Forget about refs telling people that their gi is too small or that their belt isn't the right colour, it's going to be "your top doesn't have the right black to colour ratio"...

James
    Last edited by Sir Tapsalot; 16-08-2009 at 11:00 PM.

Do many people really care that much? What is the no.1 nogi event? ADCC.

Gi=Mundials
    Nogi=ADCC

The Nogi Worlds could be bigger than ADCC one day, but I don't think these rules will encourage that to happen.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

Agreed - it's an event for the Yanks really, and to make money (lots of it).

James

hmmmmmmmmm is it time for...

Lol Ben

Wonder if they're gonna do a Midnight Blue top???

F

I can see their point but I agree with Simon.

As a board short affectionado I think you should be allowed to wear whatever shorts you want (as long as theyre not made by a gay mma brand).

No GI grappling is very closely tied to surf culture in general so it'd be blasphemy to move away from it.

Now.. if they just introduce a 'most silly shorts wins' rule, then I'm sorted..