Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Coming off the streets to a class without invitation - Please advise

When I emailed two of the largest clubs in London a few years ago I never got a reply either. Put me off for a while, I just thought it was a bit rude as I was trying to be respectful to the teacher and do the right thing. If my current club hadn't of replied I wouldn't have started there either but thank Rickson they did.

Smile

I have removed my phone number from the Carlson website now because i became tired of guys asking a whole bunch of questions that could be answered by just reading the website thoroughly in the first place.
    The phone calls were generally from people who wanted to talk about starting training but very rarely turned up.I had guys i'd never met swearing undying allegiance to the sport,to the team,telling me they were ready to begin their journey to becoming the next UFC champion,telling me they would never miss a training session and then never turning up.

Towards the end of my phone number being on the site i was stuck in traffic on the North Circular one day and a right dougnut rang me to talk about 'doing UFC'.For a laugh i decided to talk to him for a long as he wanted
    until he finished the conversation.It lasted 55 minutes with him telling me he'd see me the following day for his first session.He never turned up.

I am sure Dickie Martin who deals with the emails for Carlson's replies to each and every one but EVERY single bit of information anyone could need
    about beginning training exists on our website.We even show the price of training-something many clubs hide from their websites..............

And for those who really have a lot of questions we have a 'Frequently asked
    questions page' -

http://carlsongracieteam.org.uk/inde...d=29&Itemid=50

Frequently asked questions.

Do you run beginners classes?

Yes, we run basics classes on Mondays and Wednesdays, 6.30pm-7.45pm and Fridays, 7.45pm-9.30pm.

The basics classes are aimed at White belts,to help them build a strong foundation to their jiu jitsu,but all levels are welcome.

As usual,beginners and White belts are welcome at ANY Carlson Gracie class but we recommend attending the basics class in addition to your other classes.

What do I need to wear?

If you have a judo gi then that is ideal, if not then shorts and t-shirt will be fine for your first few classes.

Can I buy a Gi?

Yes, we have suits (gi) available and prices range from 60 to 80

What else should I bring?

Some water or sports drink is essential.

Is there parking available?

There is free parking right outside the gym.

Is the gym in the congestion zone?

No, a couple of miles outside.

How far is it from Hammersmith tube?

Less than 10 minutes walk. Walk over Hammersmith Bridge and 50 metres later turn right down Glentham Road.

What will happen in a class?

Most classes consist of a warm up followed by some techniques then some sparring.

What is sparring?

No kicking or punching (BJJ), students try to use the grappling techniques they have learnt against a fully resisting opponent. Students must never try and hurt each other, techniques must be applied with control and as soon as your opponent submits (taps) he must be released. In Muay Thai sparring is optional and varies from very light to full contact.

Is there a self-defence class?

All the martial arts taught at Carlson Gracie London will assist you in defending yourself.

Is there a Women's class?

Women are free to join the evening classes or there are dedicated classes in the daytime, to book a place on our next available course contact us at info@carlsongracieteam.org.uk

It all looks very scary, how do I start?

Just walk in and start training, everyone is friendly and helpful and we all started by just walking through the door.

------------------------------------------------------

Makaveli, A few years ago Carlson's was being run completely on 'Rio Time'
    and the thought of getting a return email was very optimistic.
    In those days we were in the Original Boiler Room,a dungeon in one of the worst area's of London.Very very few people ever made it down those stairs...........................
    Last edited by Simon Hayes; 21-08-2009 at 07:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Hayes View Post

Towards the end of my phone number being on the site i was stuck in traffic on the North Circular one day and a right dougnut rang me to talk about 'doing UFC'.For a laugh i decided to talk to him for a long as he wanted
    until he finished the conversation.It lasted 55 minutes with him telling me he'd see me the following day for his first session.
    Simon I can't believe you are telling everyone about our conversation!
    OOOOOSSSSSSSS!!!!!!

Simon, your post is the reason I leave all the phonecalls up to Chris! haha

We also find that 90% of enquiries are asking for information which people could find on the website. Chris loves the "I got your number off the website and I'm wondering what time lessons are?" calls. They never show up.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

Luca was famous for never answering emails on our old hotmail email address, it was always full.

Hopefully now you will get a quick response, funnily enough most people who email seem to be pretty genuine and just want to establish some contact before turning up. The nutters seem to like to use the phone.

Some of my favourites from when I worked at Reception at RGA were the guys that would ring up and argue that they should be in the advanced class because they had a black belt in traditional jj/karate/been watching some utube vids. (The policy was that unless u were a blue belt+ in BJJ your first class would be a beginners class and the instructor would keep an eye on you and decide at the end of that lesson which class you would be in) While very happy to argue with a receptionist who was not an instructor, funny enough they never decided to raise the point with Roger directly.....LOL

A guy came to watch one of our basics class and at the end told Chris it looked good but he'd probably have to do an advanced class because he has boxed for years... I don't think he ever came back.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

Even though a site may tell you all you need to know, and it may say to just turn up, most people probably feel it rude to just turn up without warning.

Many people are also quite intimidated when starting a martial art. I think it can be easy for very experienced instructors to forget just quite how big a factor this is.

I myself got as far as the front door at Carlsons. I stood outside for about a minute, walked away, then came back and stood outside for another minute. I then left and I've never been back. I just got a bit freaked out at the idea of what might be waiting for me up those stairs.

It's embarrasing really and quite pathetic, but many novices feel this way.
    Last edited by Iconoclast; 21-08-2009 at 02:19 PM.

They are a friendly bunch of guys, what was waiting for you at the top of the stairs was a big warm welcome! Chat to Simon hayes on here he is one of the black belts who teaches there, you should go back ur only regret will be having not gone up those stairs the last time.

Iconoclast,

You're right and that's why Dickie answers every email.I found answering phonecalls was just too time consuming and for every genuine enquiry
    there were 10 nutters.(Big up the guy who asked me how long before he
    could get in the cage and I said '2 years maybe' and he replied 'But I was the hardest at primary school and the second hardest at secondary school'....)

Anyway,I can remember quite clearly the day I went to my first BJJ class and it was very intimidating.I will never forget it.In those days most guys you'd find at BJJ were either Pro fighters,Blackbelts in other arts,Boxers,Bouncers or Eastern European War Criminals (all attracted by seeing Royce in the UFC).

I think many,many guys have stood outside Carlsons and not walked in and that's exactly why Dickie answers all emails and at the end of the FAQ page on the website we have the words-

"It all looks very scary,how do I start?
    Just walk in and start training everyone is very friendly and helpful
    and we all started by just walking through the door".

Iconoclast,I just wish you'd walked through the door because you would have
    found a group of guys who are a team,who help each other and look after each other and want to get better at BJJ together.

Banana-thanks for the kind words!
    Last edited by Simon Hayes; 21-08-2009 at 01:42 PM.