Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: WTF is the point of MMA Amateur fights that do not include strikes to the head!?!?

Slightly Bonkers shakus maximus's Avatar

amateur with no headshots is a great stepping stone for fighters to gain experience.
    i encourage all my fighters to compete in these events before stepping up the levels
    also a good opportunity for lads who train for fun to have the chance to copete ithout worry of serious injury
    some of the best fighters in the uk and europe have competed at no head shot events when they 1st started out

Had my first fight at 17 with pro b rules, had never been in any kind of competetion at all before, not even a grappling tourne....silly idea, wouldnt advise it.

I would say get as many amatuer, semi pro and grappling tournaments as possible becasue once you fight pro no one wants you to take a step backwards.

imo anyhow
    Proud to be sponsored by Deepblue Fightwear.

alot of event organisers give fighters the say on head shots/no headshots i think under 18 shld be no headshots at am level and over 18's shld have the option to do both head shots standing but not on the ground is a good midle feild and cld also use the 7oz sparing gloves, then step upto 4oz gloves with head shots standing and on the ground at semi pro then full pro rules.
    KETTERING SHOOTFIGHTERS, semi pro 1-1-0

Im new to mma and just wondering what time frame is the norm to have your first amateur fight?

I have been training jiu-jitsu/submission grappling and kickboxing for around 3 months. Whilst I realise that im no way a master of any discipline im very interested in gauging just how much ive learned without the worry of serious injury if my capabilities let me down.

Any replies most welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by mrmantusa View Post
    Im new to mma and just wondering what time frame is the norm to have your first amateur fight?

I have been training jiu-jitsu/submission grappling and kickboxing for around 3 months. Whilst I realise that im no way a master of any discipline im very interested in gauging just how much ive learned without the worry of serious injury if my capabilities let me down.

Any replies most welcome!
    there is no time frame mate, speak to your coaches and do it when you feel ready
    "Just Scrap!"

Twitter '@DWedz'

If it's amateur with no head-strikes then I think it's best to start doing it as soon as possible (same advice I give people regarding grappling comps). The more comp experience you can get the better.

If you go on to be a 10-0 pro, no-one is gonna care if you had 100 losses at amateur.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    If it's amateur with no head-strikes then I think it's best to start doing it as soon as possible (same advice I give people regarding grappling comps). The more comp experience you can get the better.

If you go on to be a 10-0 pro, no-one is gonna care if you had 100 losses at amateur.
    lol... i'd rather be 10-0 pro and have a 0-100 amateur record than have 100 amateur wins and 10 pro losses... Amateur competition is just a mess about really, to test the waters and get used to a competitive environment imo... dosn't matter if you win or lose, no one cares at amateur.

Pro is where it matters imo... no one cares about amateur records of pro fighters.

Quote Originally Posted by ChokeYouOut View Post
    lol... i'd rather be 10-0 pro and have a 0-100 amateur record than have 100 amateur wins and 10 pro losses... Amateur competition is just a mess about really, to test the waters and get used to a competitive environment imo... dosn't matter if you win or lose, no one cares at amateur.

Pro is where it matters imo... no one cares about amateur records of pro fighters.
    Did you read my post correctly? You lol yet then completely agree with me.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    Did you read my post correctly? You lol yet then completely agree with me.
    Ahhh i thought you meant no one would care if you were 10-0 at pro if you had 100 losses at amateur, sorry i misunderstood.

Amateur MMA is great for young guys starting out. I train with a couple of young guys who are gaining fantastic experience through the amateur level, and it helps prepare them for the semi pro and pro levels without getting their face mangled before their 18th birthday.

I fully intend on competing at the amateur level before I even consider letting someone punch me in the face. I had my eye socket and cheek bone mashed a couple months ago, so I'd rather make sure I'm capable of defending myself in an amateur fight before I take the risk of having my face pounded into mince. :P