Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cardio for grappling?

Default Cardio for grappling?

I've heard it said that grappling is a different kind of fitness, and I'm slowly getting to find that to be very true.

Apart from grappling itself, are there any other specific types of cardio activities that you can do in your own time that will noticeably help your grappling fitness?

For instance, what would be a more effective training method for grappling cardio, IE: 30 second Hill sprints with a 20 kilo sandbag, weight training with low weights but high reps done extremely fast, or a five mile jog?

I gass too soon and I don't like it.

I like to do a 3 mile run every other day alternating the times I go also do full bodyworkouts on days I don't train alot of deadlifts, squats, bench press.
    Only 2-3 sets of say 20- 30 reps with low weights.

Rowing, and spin classes, cross trainers good also
    ‎"He who goes to bed with itchy bum, wake up with stinky finger."

Only for the Hardcore-

Go on a Concept II Rower.

Set the computer for 250 metre Sprint with a 30 second Rest Interval.

Do a 250 metre sprint as fast as you can (as if your life depended on it).

You will probably complete it between 40 and 50 seconds.

The computer will now count down a 30 second rest.Relax and Breathe,concentrate on deep controlled breaths and getting your heart rate
    to drop.

At the end of the 30 second rest the computer will tell you to do another 250 metre sprint.Go as fast as you can.Do not slack.Row as if you are being chased by a man with a machine gun.

Repeat,again and again until your 250 metre sprint time is outside of 10%
    of your first set.

In other words,if your first set was 50 seconds you keep doing sets until
    you cannot complete in under 55 seconds.

If you can do over 5 sets you are fit.

If you can do over 10 sets you are a God.

This type of interval sprint training is about 100% effort and then recovering from the effort in under 30 seconds.

This will get you fit for BJJ/MMA.

That sounds fookin tough!!

I suppose I did ask LOL.

remember you posting that workout a couple years back Simon, absolutely love it.
    The Dungeon Sunderland / Checkmatt BJJ team

I used to row and we used to do something similar to what Simon suggests but with a couple of twists.

1) Ramp the resistance up. On a concept 2 it should be roughly 10 for 100kgs +,9 for 90kg+, 8 for any other weight.*Only for sprints

2)We used to go one at a time with everyone else watching. There's nothing like that sort of pressure to make you really go hard. Our coach would always take times and you would be shamed if slacking.

3)While I was training negative splitting was all the rage (ie. doing the second set quicker than the first) so we used our 2k split time (for me about 1:49 for 500m). This was the pace for the first set. Every subsequent set had to be quicker.

This will make you vomit.

Quote Originally Posted by SWM View Post
    This will make you vomit.
    Lovely

when i was boxing in the army one of things we use to do was sprint the length of a football pitch the jog the width sprint the length jog the width etc
    another thing we did was i dont know if there is a name for this but;

you would have 10 exercises press ups, squats, sit ups etc
    1,you would sprint to a 10 metre point and do 10 of the first execise then sprint back,

2,sprint back to the 10 metre point do 10 of the second exercise sprint back,

you would do this untill all 10 exercises are complete
    then take 1 min rest and go again but doing 9 of each exercise
    take 1 min rest go again doing 8 of each exercise

do this untill you are doing 5 of each exercise then when you are fitter you can work your way back up to 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Hayes View Post
    Only for the Hardcore-

Go on a Concept II Rower.

Set the computer for 250 metre Sprint with a 30 second Rest Interval.

Do a 250 metre sprint as fast as you can (as if your life depended on it).

You will probably complete it between 40 and 50 seconds.

The computer will now count down a 30 second rest.Relax and Breathe,concentrate on deep controlled breaths and getting your heart rate
    to drop.

At the end of the 30 second rest the computer will tell you to do another 250 metre sprint.Go as fast as you can.Do not slack.Row as if you are being chased by a man with a machine gun.

Repeat,again and again until your 250 metre sprint time is outside of 10%
    of your first set.

In other words,if your first set was 50 seconds you keep doing sets until
    you cannot complete in under 55 seconds.

If you can do over 5 sets you are fit.

If you can do over 10 sets you are a God.

This type of interval sprint training is about 100% effort and then recovering from the effort in under 30 seconds.

This will get you fit for BJJ/MMA.
    Absdolutely class!! I'm on that tuesday morning!!!

For my 2 pence... I don't think anything can really beat mat time for grappling cardio and I think 4-5 solid mid-high paced rounds of rolling at the end of each class really does it for you. Drilling and "flow-rolling" for technique and making sure you competitively roll at the end not only pressure tests your increasing skill set, but is great for specific grappling cardio. As a beginner, getting used to doing this early on I think really pays dividends quickly.

Gym based sessions with rower sprints, Randy's "grappling circuit", body weight circuits (including sit throughs and sprawls) and Kettlebell circuit training for 5min rounds have all been beneficial to me. Hard to catergorically say which is best or whether I was getting fitter anyway from rolling, but I've felt these type of sessions have helped.

Stapes
    Last edited by stapesmk1; 30-08-2009 at 07:19 PM.
    Michael Stapleton stapesmk1@hotmail.com (Not Martin Stapleton)