Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Catch as Catch Can

Cool Catch as Catch Can

Anybody still follow this or have an interest in it?
    Do you think it can be dominant in MMA or is there too many grey areas?

Just recently come back from a Seminar out in Utah with Jake Shannon and legend Billy Robinson. It was absolutely fkin awesome. Interesting to learn about the history of the sport as well which really opened up my eyes and mind to competition as a whole.

If anyone is interested in it, give me a PM for more info, or if anyone knows of any old timers that still teach etc... let me know.

Thanks

Alex

I believe Atherton Submission are keeping the art alive. They have a few champs on their roster.

Doesnt it involve lots of things that are illegal in MMA anyway?

like nose pinches.
    BJJ White belt, 2 stripes.

General badmotherfucker.

i believe mark hatmaker is keeping cath wrestling and the lost art of 'jonesing' alive
    "I tell them you say they no good fighters... and that their mothers have sex with mules"

Quote Originally Posted by HarryHill View Post
    Anybody still follow this or have an interest in it?
    Do you think it can be dominant in MMA or is there too many grey areas?

Just recently come back from a Seminar out in Utah with Jake Shannon and legend Billy Robinson. It was absolutely fkin awesome. Interesting to learn about the history of the sport as well which really opened up my eyes and mind to competition as a whole.

If anyone is interested in it, give me a PM for more info, or if anyone knows of any old timers that still teach etc... let me know.

Thanks

Alex
    Billy Robinson taught Sakuraba and Tamura MMA when he was head trainer of the UFWFi Snakepit in Tokyo.

Robinson also taught Eric Pauslon/Greg Nelson, who taught Brock Lesnar the catch wrestling moves he used to destroy Frank Mir. (The full nelson stockade that Lesnar uses for all of round 1).

You can scroll down to the bottom of the page to see the Lancashire Catch Wrestling branch/lineage:
    http://www.wrestlingtree.com/

catch and lita livra have both been pretty successfully in mma its just that they did not have the marketing in the early days that bjj had and now everyone learns bjj because of this early marketing.
    Last edited by blanker; 18-09-2009 at 08:25 PM.

Erik Paulson learnt alot of the catch style from Yori Nakamura, who in turn learnt from Satoru Sayama who was trained by the legendary Karl Gotch.

If you search for the Tiger Mask on youtube that is Sayama , he wrestled in worked matches , but alot of what you see is the orginal catch stuff.
    You may know me as The Cheesecake Assassin

Ian Bromley from Stockport Fighters flies the flag as well, he travels to the US on a regular basis.

F

Darren Morris and Old Jack from Atherton Submission are both top instructers and have some very good ground guy's too.
    www.KAOBON.com www.AUTOSTYLEALLOYWHEELS.CO.UK www.BODYFUEL.COM www.ASSECURITYLIMITED.COM