Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Grapple Mania 2 - Leeds, Sun 8th!! No-Gi Grappling Competition !!enter now!!

Didn't make it up but three of my lads did. Congrats to Liam and Ranj who took gold and silver in the advanced division (4th time they've faced each other now lol, 3 times in finals). Well done to Chris White in his first competition too, who won his first match but lost in semi-final. Proud of you all guys.

Nathan
    Head Coach at Leicester Shootfighters
    Sponsored by Caged Steel and Empire Fight Shop

Quote Originally Posted by chowbjj View Post
    The refs were a bit dodgy like, I got points for back control when I put my hooks in, after I had a body triangle. He didn't give me the points for the body triangle, but isn't it for back control?

It was okay, I had fun, it's just another tournament to get more experience
    no...you get points for controlling the back only when you have hooks in.
    you do not get points for the body triangle.

some of the guys had hooks in and then went for the body triangle and they got no points at all, why? because they didn't keep hooks for 3 secs.
    www.truespirit-mma.co.uk

www.valetudo.pl

eat.sleep.jiu jitsu. jiu jitsu lifestyle.

sponsored by www.ko-sports.com
    www.mmapics.com, www.fightlive.co.uk- great pictures from the best shows in UK

Quote Originally Posted by Doug@Phoenix View Post
    I'm not one to usually come on the forums and whine but today was just a disgrace. The event itself was very very well ran and each division went off fine but the refereeing was AWFUL! It wasn't just 1 ref either, it was all of them! They didn't have a clue! Rewarding wrong points, not awarding points, awarding points when they shouldn't have....it was honestly laughable! I'm not just whining because I was on the bad end of a few decisions myself either, I saw it over and over again. They didn't even know there own points system! It was like a lottery about when they would give points! They didn't know the difference between a takedown and a clean takedown for starters! I'm sat here fuming, I can honestly say I will never go to Grapplemania again and recommend that any one else who doesn't want to waste 25 doesn't go either...at least until they get some proper ref's! I've been to NEGC & Ground control and they're spot on! Get yourself there instead.
    I think I know what takedown are you talking about. Takedown attempt started on the mat, finished outside the mat with guy on the bottom in semi butterfly guard (one shin on opponents hips) from that position ( OFF THE MAT, ON THE FLOOR ) guy from top passed the guard to the side mount. And that doesn't count because the guard pass started outside the mat.(so only 2 points for a takedown instead of 4 for a clean one)
    And that seems pretty obvious.
    There was also one situation that from thai clinch both guys landed on their knees, opposite each other and one guy grabbed guillotine grip. There is no way that he could get point for takedown for that, because it wasn't a takedown..simple is that.

If you are talking about different situation maybe you could share that with us.

I know that there were some problems on the mat 3 and I totally understand that as I saw some mistakes there as well but this ref was later replaced and we can just apologise for that and promise it will never happen again.
    Loosing by a refs decision is one of worst things that can happen to an athlete, it happened to me few times, to my friends and my students but I am pretty sure that only small percentage of complains made that afternoon have a real coverage in truth.

The event was very well run again with exciting fights, good prizes and great atmosphere.
    www.truespirit-mma.co.uk

www.valetudo.pl

eat.sleep.jiu jitsu. jiu jitsu lifestyle.

sponsored by www.ko-sports.com
    www.mmapics.com, www.fightlive.co.uk- great pictures from the best shows in UK

Were there supposed to be prizes for the division winners? Tyrone Elliott won the kids and didn't win anything.. or was it just absolute?
    The Dungeon Sunderland / Checkmatt BJJ team

Quote Originally Posted by chowbjj View Post
    The refs were a bit dodgy like, I got points for back control when I put my hooks in, after I had a body triangle. He didn't give me the points for the body triangle, but isn't it for back control?

It was okay, I had fun, it's just another tournament to get more experience
    You don't get points for a body triangle only when the hooks are in.
    "A boxer is the best predator on land. The Lion, but throw him in the shark tank and he becomes just another meal" Renzo Gracie.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilD View Post
    Were there supposed to be prizes for the division winners? Tyrone Elliott won the kids and didn't win anything.. or was it just absolute?
    I was wondering the same, I won my division to.

It was a good event but I have to agree with some of comments re. judges, altho not all judges, just some of them. Some clearly had no idea and how a ref can ref and work the clock at the same time is beyond me? Have all these refs qualified to the shows standards etc.? I saw numerous descrepancies between different mats again.
    Also why did the absolute catagory start and finish before some of the other catagories had even started? It wasn't just for winners or advanced so this meant people who had been waiting around to fight all day didn't get a chance to enter it as it finished before their 1st fight.
    Mats could have been better utilised too as we were waiting around for catagories to start at the end of the day when other mats were not being used.
    The paramedic getting off before the end is a major problem too, especially when nobody was there to check the lad dropped on his head.

We went through the process of bringing a medic, he must have gone for a break and many shows dont even have a medic. It is very difficult to referee a grappling competition occasionally mistakes are made but to lose and make excuses by blaming referees wont help you progress and improve in your grappling skill level. Learn from your weaknesses positively and become a competition champion. Grapplemania sponsers were generous enough to give supplements which were allocated to the advanced divisions, there were no supplements for novices and kids. We will endavour to supply supplements to novices in the future.

Default improvements for future grapplemainia events

I was in the under 80kg novice category and a few things I would like to see change from my experience is:

1) Better announcements when weight categories are on as I almost missed mine as I had no idea when I was on. Which ment I dint not have chance to warm up.

2) I feel as well as others that rash guards or t-shirts should be worn because this for me looks unhygienic and probably is too!

3) I also feel that 3rd places should be awarded as people are paying quite alot of money and for there to only be 1st and 2nd places is wrong. E.g let the semi finalist losers fight for 3rd place.

However, apart from this I enjoyed the event make the improvements and more people will compete IN MY OPINION!!!!!

I have to agree that the mat space should've been used more efficiently, on mat 2 thefirst 2 categories (-80 and -73) had 8 competitors combined and so were finished by half 1. Yet a guy from our team didnt get to fight until 4 even though by 3 o'clock the first two mats were empty. This comp could've been ran much more quickly, waiting six hours for your first match is no fun.

I also think there were a few guys that were better standard than novice that i have seen around the grappling circuit regularly doin well, yet still competing in novice, step up!

Lastly, my winners trophy was silver (last one was gold, and bigger)