Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alone in the Wild - your thoughts?

My cat's name is Mittens ralphylad's Avatar

Default Alone in the Wild - your thoughts?

Well watched this Thursday and was expecting it to carry on for a couple of more weeks. was a little disappointed that the poor bloke gave up then thought, you know maybe he didnt do too bad after all spending 50 days, completely alone without any human contact, living off simply berries, about 20 fish in total, 5kg of rice and 2 stinking porcupines livers!

Just wondered what you guys and girls thought of the programme if you saw it, I remember when I was in basic training we did a ful day dressed in NBC equipment to demonstrate sensory deprevation and even afetr about 6 hours you started getting a bit twitchey, let alone 50 days without any contact with anyone, but wondered if anyone had any experience of solitary in this way? or any survival stories etc!

for those who didnt see it heres a clip of his final week before he starts to crack up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJje5...eature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP6Rs...eature=channel
    Last edited by ralphylad; 26-09-2009 at 06:04 PM.
    "I honestly can't even remember my old signature, so I'll have this one"

I once survived three days without internet

I was impressed with him surviving 50 days, bearing in mind he could not kill any of the big game animals that could have fed him for months and he only had what seemed like basic training.

He basically did what Christopher McCandless/Alexander Supertramp did, except he did not have the option of an airlift out. Sean Penn turned this into a movie called Into the Wild in 2007. Worth a watch if you enjoyed the Alone in the Wild tv series.

"Into The Wild" is a brilliant film, highly reccommended.

Didn't really enjoy that show though. I felt like he was trying to create a more exciting show by constantly going on about bears, even though there was no bear seen at any point. Easy to get paranoid out there though.

The last show was spoiled by his constant crying. It was like that scene from The Blair Witch Project, just prolonged for about an hour.

It would've maybe been better to have someone a bit more knowledgeable to keep it going longer and share that knowledge; a Bear Grylls type maybe.
    The the only thing I don't like about his show is that it's too "set up", so a real show involving him, by himself like that would be awesome.

"The Grizzly Man" is another grat film for those interested in this type of thing. It's a documentary, similar to this show but with a lot more bears.

Aye, he should have done this in some eastern european country where they would probably have let him kill and eat whatever he wanted. In the end the shows amounted to 3 hours of a guy crying, slowly starving to death, going insane and shitting himself about the mythical bears that clearly only live in his head.

My wife didn't talk to me for a whole week once. Does that count as solitary/survival story? It was bliss.

Only saw the last show and agree with mack and ponch, it was just an hour of him crying, I understand that being out there own your own messes with your mind, but if I wanted to watch a man cry like a child for an hour I'd put up a cctv camera in the prison showers.

Maybe the first 2 shows were better, but the 3rd was shit.
    http://www.kendallgrovemma.com/

"You fucked his wife, fucked his fucking wife, you fucking wife fucker, you fucked his fucking wife you wife-fucking cunt, another mans wife? You stupid? You fucking thick you cunt? Fuck another mans wife? You don't do that!"

- Stephen Dillane

My cat's name is Mittens ralphylad's Avatar

Even if he had of eaten a sly moose or carabou I very much doubt he would have lasted it out, he was even dropped rations because he couldn't find his own food, the guy was an emotional wreck, laughing histerically one minute and crying the next shot; it was like the producer just kept all the crying scenes and ditched the rest.

Hope he gives it another crack next year or season or maybe go somewhere like Russia where he can shoot the crap out of everything in site, someone should do a chenoble survival 90 days that would be sweet!
    "I honestly can't even remember my old signature, so I'll have this one"

Banned

Default lolol

Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    I once survived three days without internet
    LMAO! ............

i cant do with out the internet
    add me on ps3 bigbull82

join my facebook page http://www.facebook.com/pages/huntin...7694370?ref=mf

I only caught the last episode and it just seemed to be about him crying his eyes out the entire time so it was hard for me to get into, not having watched previous episodes and all.