Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Alone in the Wild - your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    I was impressed with him surviving 50 days, bearing in mind he could not kill any of the big game animals that could have fed him for months and he only had what seemed like basic training.

He basically did what Christopher McCandless/Alexander Supertramp did, except he did not have the option of an airlift out. Sean Penn turned this into a movie called Into the Wild in 2007. Worth a watch if you enjoyed the Alone in the Wild tv series.
    airlift????

dont wanna give away the film but not how i remember it

Quote Originally Posted by sol_dave View Post
    airlift????

dont wanna give away the film but not how i remember it

Let me type that again:

"what Christopher McCandless/Alexander Supertramp did, except HE DID NOT have the option of an airlift out".

Exactly how I remember the film. HE DID NOT have the option of an airlift out.

ahh right the way it was written sounded like you were talking about supertramp and I havent seen the tv show so couldnt put it all together

great film seen it about 5 times

I thrive under the same conditions. Whilst hunting and stuff, I tend to gain about 2 lbs a week.
    No longer playing World of Warcraft. Goodbye fond memories
    FUCK THE ALLIANCE

I did it for 100 days with my eyes closed and 1 foot tied behind my back, I fought off 3 bears at once with a club I made from the bones of another bear I previously beat to death with my bare hands and teeth.

Glad to see a thread about this; i have been dying to have a rant about it! I thought the guy was a total embarrasment. I understand everyone wanting to be nice and all, since he does seem a bit sensitive but .... COME ON! what an idiot!? If he spent more time gathering grub, he might have spent less time crying and freaking out about bumps in the night/footsteps in the forest and more eating! He should have been lapping up the peace and quiet by a nice fire with splif and a glass of homebrew at night, not shivering in the dark, starving and crapping his pants. What kind of moron tries to catch 20 fish a day with a rod?! He could have spent all day doing summit else while a net, or a bunch of lines did the work for him? Protien really shouldnt be that hard to find. Then he moves off to another lake where he DOESNT have a boat! The dude was hopeless. And he had a sodding electric fence with him! While he slept 20 foot above the floor! lol Nugget. I only watched the second and third episode cos i was hoping to see him actually meet a bear just to see the look on his face! Pathetic and really embarrasing that he sounded scottish.
    Tap Forged

I think for a first time round he did alright. Only watched the week before episode though, but 50 days aint too bad. If he did it again I bet he'd go for longer, cos you learn from the first time round.

Who was the guy anyway? Was he a journalist or something, or Alan Cumming's brother?

never seen the film "into the wild" is it worth a gander?

Quote Originally Posted by DetoxGuru.com View Post
    never seen the film "into the wild" is it worth a gander?
    Yes. Kid who lives in a materialistic family, graduates from uni but wants to go his own way rather than choose the big money path... goes off hiking and meets loads of people on the way whilst trying to survive by living off the land. Probably something you'll be into Gav.