Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What martial art would you recommend for a teenage girl?

Hybrid View

Default What martial art would you recommend for a teenage girl?

I'm sure BJJ would be an excellent choice for a girl of about 14, but the girl I have in mind would probably have an issue with the closeness of it.

Particularly if she had to roll with guys most of the time (which she probably would).

She's the daughter of a work colleague who has expressed an interest in martial arts.

How about Judo? Is that something that girls can enjoy?

Judo is grappling also so will be close.My advice would be give it a try,she might enjoy the art whether its BJJ or Judo.If not why not give Thai boxing a go which is also pretty effective.

Muay Thai, Kickboxing or Karate
    www.mmafactory.co.uk - Use discount code cagewarriors for 10% off your order

Just read that this guy gives private No-Gi grappling lessons, might wanna get her signed up.

BJJ White belt, 2 stripes.

General badmotherfucker.

Yeah, Muay Thai is a good idea.

I was wondering whether or not there were many female Judo players about as I don't think she'd be too comfortable in a predominantly male environment.

She's a shy girl who has recently lost her father to cancer and her mum is just trying to find a way to bring her out of her shell a little.

She's expressed an interest in martial arts and her mum has asked me for my advice. She must think I'm some sort of expert or something lol.

I'd love to be able to give some good advice, but I suppose it all comes down to the instructors rather than the art itself.

Banned

Kickboxing, muay thai, boxing imo.

Fuck karate, it sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by pauljono1120 View Post
    Fuck karate, it sucks.
    Only because it's been watered down and destroyed by McDojos.

Banned

Well.. i guess some karate dojos are probably decent, but the one my mate went to, he got brown belt and is a complete puff, so i didnt see the benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by Iconoclast View Post
    I suppose it all comes down to the instructors rather than the art itself.

Couldn't agree more. "Closeness" wouldn't be an issue if you recommend her to a decent gym/instructor. Kickboxing, muay thai, boxing, karate could all be options if you didn't want her training BJJ.

lmao at paul jonno's post !

I'd have to agree with Thai or kick boxing, then again for a self defence martial arts Aikido is a good one.

This is not a ground based sport and is very good for wrist locks/takedowns. IMO aikido is a good one.
    Last edited by Jon-Leggy; 27-09-2009 at 09:56 PM.