Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What martial art would you recommend for a teenage girl?

I strongly beleive that kids, especially girls need to be able to protect themselves. I did have a bit of a telling off as the wife got my daughter (almost 3 years old) a pair of shiny pink shoes to go with her princess putfit.

the mrs wasn't too impressed when my daughter put them on her hands and went to touch gloves and said lets get it on mammy!!

While we're on the subject...

He was 18 months at the time, smashed up my living room with those boxing gloves. Nothing to do with me, he just put them on himself, honest guv!

In my view, young girls learning a martial art is cool as long as they enjoy it and by that token, it'll make em more confident and outgoing and make friends at the club - all these things, not the techniques themselves - will bring her out of her shell.
    But for boys I advise a jolly good BJJ followed by a muay thai session. Playground bullys beware.
    Last edited by Meerkatsu; 28-09-2009 at 09:06 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Meerkatsu's BJJ Blog

Quote Originally Posted by wagon View Post
    I strongly beleive that kids, especially girls need to be able to protect themselves. I did have a bit of a telling off as the wife got my daughter (almost 3 years old) a pair of shiny pink shoes to go with her princess putfit.

the mrs wasn't too impressed when my daughter put them on her hands and went to touch gloves and said lets get it on mammy!!
    Oh that is so cute, my kinda kid. LOL

At the end of the day give her some options and let her decide, at 14 she would be in the adult class in some bjj schools but in the teenage class in others, (ie BJJ School?) perhaps she would be more comfortable at an academy with a teenage class?

Hi Iconoclass
    Best advice I can think is go and check out what classes are local to you.
    Its not so much about the style (at first) but finding a class that she will be comfortable in. Some BJJ classes are mostly make, whereas you will find some that do female classes only! Same with any other style mate, is down to the club and instructor rather than style.

If the goal mainly is to get her a club where she can 'fit in' comfotably and get some self esteam, then secondly to learn self defense, then the right club is the most important thing over style. After she gets the martial arts addiction if its for her, then she will more than likely look for the style she wants to do. At first, she probably wouldnt have a clue what style that is!

Hope you find a good place, what area are you in? Maybe someone here may know your local clubs...

Tim

Ok guys, thanks for all the advice.

I have passed these suggestions on and will leave it to them to decide.

Thanks again.

japanese ju jitsu or kickboxing might be a good start. Alot of kickboxing classes arnt as traditional and strict these days so might be a nice atmosphere to start with. ( I dont mean all clubs are like that by the way )
    MMA is not a charity

I took my daughter to several local clubs and let her decide. She chose one that did kickboxing and karate, but she's also doing judo at the weekends....cost me a bloody fortune letting her decide...

kickboxing, at my my club it is filled with girls who are mostly blackbelts. you want to bring her to scorpio freestyle kickboxing simply the best.
    Scorpio Freestyle Kickboxing

BJJ/MMA/Kickboxing. Preferably schools where there's kids classes so she can train with people about the same age.

Judo is a great way to start someone's martial arts career. I was pleasantly surprised by the number of women training when I started at my Judo club. In most of the styles I've tried, normally I was the only woman in class but in Judo there are often at least 4 or 5 other women in training and many of the juniors are female. My advice would be to go along and have a look at the class to see how many women are training.
    The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it