Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Is this a realistic technique to stop a knife attack?

It is actually considered a technique yes but we don't use it because we don't think it works, we generally use the slap hands technique on the wrist.

Anyone ever caught a punch before and used a wrist lock right off it?

Bullshit.
    No longer playing World of Warcraft. Goodbye fond memories
    FUCK THE ALLIANCE

It's realistic, but not as much as a much to the balls.

It's hard to do unless you train it a lot, just RUN lol.

I have masses of respect for traditional martial arts after hvn don 10 years trad karate but that video is the biggest load of ball crap ive ever seen.
    As has been said already if its only you there and you can leave do, if you have to fight u r more than likely going to bleed try to make sure its the upper side of your arms and take your chances to inflict damage from a distance ie teep. Or better still brick in the face.

Researching my vast old library, what I originally thought still applies. As Danny Inosanto says "The best and first thing you can do against a knife attack is run fast. The next best thing is pick up a weapon, a picture frame or a stool etc."

Sounds like sensible advice to me.
    No longer playing World of Warcraft. Goodbye fond memories
    FUCK THE ALLIANCE

capquahug

Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    It's BS. Evading the initial attack could work (if it doesn't though, it will hurt a lot though), but once you grab someone who has just tried to stab you they are not gonna stay still while you move around or do some ridiculous kick.
    I accept with information: the basic technique of evading and applying the kote gashi is sound, he's just not doing it right, there's no waki and the kamae is wrong.

That kind of defense only works against someone who is going to accept that they are going to get taken down. You are programmed by the instructor to get taken down so you do. If someone is out to stab you they are hardly going to react like that guy did.

I have a real issue with this sort of stuff. People who train "Self Defence" at places like Fitness First need to be careful. I know guys who do "Thai Boxing" at a weights gym and they think they can fight, erm, no you cant. Stuff like that gives people a false sense of confidence, so when they see someone with a knife they assume they can take them on, but invariably they end up getting stabbed up.

I prefer this method, works everytime

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01NHcTM5IA4

knife attacks theese days are usually the prison shank style of multi strikes, very difficult to defend against

we had aJKD unlimited seminar a while ago and during this there were a couple of knife attacks they showed, once i attaked with the shank style attack it was useless

method i have found to work...in the gym at least is to grab at wrist and elbow of attacking arm then controlling that rein in multiple knees and head buts until control was taken

even then with a marker or dye knife the attacked person will still get cut and shanked