Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 96

Thread: WAKO GB MMA Dept - please read!

  1. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fishface View Post
    WAKO have appointed John C Higo, UK Director of MMA
    how is this guy qualified to be "UK Director of MMA'? I don't know a lot about him, other than that he's pretty much a pure kickboxing guy, but the details of the MMA course offered via his website are a bit confusing. Anyone got a dan grade in submission wrestling? Coz if you dont, this course isnt open to you.

    Quote:

    My name is John C. Higo you may or may not have heard of me, I have been appointed The World Association of Kickboxing Organisations (WAKO) UK Director of Mixed Martial Arts (MMA), operating under the guidance of WAKO GB Ring sports.

    My job is to help promote and develop MMA within the UK whilst ensuring that we instil the outstanding expertise and professionalism of which we already witness within WAKO at home and abroad. Correct instruction and coaching at grass roots level is very important and I and my team have been given the task of organising recognised WAKO certified courses to help this new burgeoning ring sport grow in a strong and positive way for the future good of mixed martial arts.

    In order to qualify for these courses you must be a Dan grade within a martial art, this is a necessary bedrock requirement to show you have the background to evaluate and fully understand the structured coaching course laid before you and the best way to take this knowledge and integrate it into your present system. This is not a performance based certificate it merely teaches you the correct procedures to follow whilst teaching and coaching starting with a basic level certificate through to advanced level certification.
    can anyone tell us what qualifies this guy to certificate people in MMA, or how these 'dan grade' guys are going to begin teaching basic MMA after attending this course? Who instructs the BJJ at this place?

  2. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnchigo View Post
    Everyone seems to question the dan grade set criteria for coaching courses, its just a case of showing that you have put your time in and have atleast the basic structure of how to teach and coach

    really if you have spent any time in the martial arts you will have picked up a blackbelt or two,

    just seen this but its relevant to my earlier post; if a guy spentfive years training in boxing, greco roman and submission wrestling, he would pick up exactly 0 belts, yet be far more suited to 'qualify' in MMA than a guy who had his wing chun gold sash and third level dan in japanese jiu jitsu.

    obviously if you come from somewhere that does'nt have gradings and you can verify your pedigree, we would welcome you on our courses,
    how would you go about verifying someone who didnt hold dan grades?

    when the magazine article first appeared l was inundated with people wanting to attend, but the majority did not fulfill the criteria other than having some mma fighters box set and these people are not what we want in wako mma.

    unless i have misinterpreted 'mma fighters box set', this means you dont want people in wako mma who have the standard set of skills that mma fighters have?

  3. #23

    Default

    you have obviously responded to my long overdue post, but please read it, then present your argument to who and what qualifies me, the original article in a rival magazine gave a little insight to where l came from and where l want to go with wako mma.

  4. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnchigo View Post
    you have obviously responded to my long overdue post, but please read it, then present your argument to who and what qualifies me, the original article in a rival magazine gave a little insight to where l came from and where l want to go with wako mma.
    i havent read the article you are referring to, was it in MMAU, Fighters, Combat or Fightsport?

    I'm not trying to be smart, its a genuine query. As I understand it you are an accomplished kickboxing coach but not an MMA coach; surely its not up to me to "present [my] argument as to who and what qualifies [you]"? I cant present any argument to qualify you as an MMA coach because I dont know any of your MMA qualifications

  5. #25

    Default

    Thats a good point John, my mma qualifications, l like everyone else have'nt got any, our courses at wako are designed to educate people to coach correctly and follow all the health and safety rules that are required, we have our technical advisors from BJJ and Submission wrestling and they actually demonstrate the correct way to teach grappling basics, most of the people that are attending our courses are long serving kickboxing instructors and thai instructors who wish to transision to mma, or develop another side to their gyms existing syllabus.You are more than welcome to attend one of our courses to observe, we are also having affiliated training group sessions 4 times per year, we have one later this month, we just get together with various other gyms and roll and spar and exchange ideas, under the guidance of our advisors.Basically we are just trying to set a standard within wako similar to what we do with the existing wako kickboxing courses and your questions are apreciated, many thanks.

  6. #26

    Default

    How do students progress to a complete MMA game if coaches are basically being shown as you say, grappling basics, and I assume vice versa for striking if they have a grappling based background.

    Is the onus then on the coaches to find someone else to train under in say BJJ or striking?

    Is there any pass or fail involved in these courses, will your advisers be assessing someone's ability to reteach these basics? As I understand it in the BJJ world it isn't until purple(?) that a student would be allowed to teach a class.

  7. #27

    Default

    We are working and learning all the time and we have fighters out there in mma and we have many people training with us who have fought in all styles and we are peiceing the game together and we do have quite alot of overall fight experience, the gym was packed today, doing spartan workouts and bjj. The idea is to give the stand up coach or the wrestling coach accessible information and back up, but if they are fortunate to get a daily or weekly specific coach then that is a good thing, we beleive in employing specialists for our weaker areas and never assume we have all the answers.Its the way Wako works.

  8. #28

    Default

    ISKA wanted to inititiate something similar, where are they now?

    I am sure we will continue to do what we do until someone we are happy with comes up with a soloution.
    "No one deserves to be unbeaten" Dan Hardy post Cage Warriors Strike force 1 2005
    "I wanna be in fights that make history" Paul Daley post UFC 108 2010
    MMA Connect

  9. #29
    Senior Member Rob T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Wales
    Posts
    9,170

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnchigo View Post
    we have our technical advisors from BJJ and Submission wrestling
    Who are they?


    Quote Originally Posted by johnchigo View Post
    we are also having affiliated training group sessions 4 times per year, we have one later this month, we just get together with various other gyms and roll and spar and exchange ideas, under the guidance of our advisors.
    Why don't you just do what everyone else who wants to learn does; join a BJJ academy, put on your white belt and train/learn. Then when you get to a decent purple belt level you will be able to teach basics well.


    Really, do you think a karate black belt makes someone more qualified to teach MMA than a BJJ purple belt (even blue) and 2 years boxing?
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

  10. #30

    Default

    We are Gracie Barra no-gi Leeds, with a Gracie instructor, read the full story and then take a pop and as to your question 'No'!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This website uses cookies to enhance user experience. They can be disabled at any time. Please see our FAQ's for details.