Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: WAKO GB MMA Dept - please read!

Default Yawn!!!

Quote Originally Posted by blodwyn View Post
    Do you think that anyone should be able to teach MMA? Or would you prefer to learn from anybody?

All we are doing is setting a standard within "WAKO" to meet insurance requirements.

Its not compulsory to be a wako member to fight or teach, if you are happy to go with another instructor, then fine, do that.
    Bold Points
    1) I have a monkey thats got great ground game, really slippery character. You could learn from him.
    2) I am suprised it took so long to say that TBH

Quote Originally Posted by Plasticpaddy View Post
    True enough.The reason I ask is that expereince of training with John would be a good basis for judging his ability to coach. Be it Kickboxing, MMA, whatever. Best of luck with your training.
    See Below...

Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    no-one has questioned him at all?
    Really??? See Above...

After getting through 7/8 pages of gripe, gripe, pop at WAKO, more gripes I got bored.

Surely a big reputable firm like WAKO getting involved in the UKMMA scene is a good thing.

Asking for a Dan grade or relevant experience ensures that the Monkey I have (as mentioned above) couldnt be a MMA coach.

The idea seems good to me even if slightly rough around the edges, and you are never going to be able to please everybody.

If you are not happy about the idea, dont take advantage of it. But unless you have hard proof that it is a fail - dont knock it either.

Just my view on the matter.

So what level of grappling experience is necessary for being a WAKO certified MMA instructor?
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by johnchigo View Post
    Anyway the debate, goes on, wako are are putting shows and courses on and it works, we wear 6 ounce gloves and do 3x3minrds and provide astepping stone tournament for people looking to put their toes in the water, also if anyone from 45yrs to 55yrs fancy a fight under wako rules l personally am looking for one before the end of the year, l am in my 50's weight 66kg, its so much fun l just want one last one.Any takers.
    I would take you up on that but there is no way I can get my weight that low.. 75kg at best.. cant you eat something heavy?

I am not really old enough to remember, but didnt people have these same discusions about Karate and Kung Fu back in the day when they started up over here?
    Last edited by Tri Stlye MMA; 19-05-2010 at 03:03 PM.
    www.swufc.co.uk
    Ultimate Tri-style MMA

What you have just stated is indeed to to some extent correct. The reason why so many Kickboxing bodies exist..is simply not one can control the whole sector in the correct way...so new bodies open to furnish the kickboxing world with new rules and better regulations to try and improve conditions and safety for fights and officials..

I'm by no means a leading player in this debate at all, but he's my opinion

asking for an instructor to have a dan grade in a martial art before taking your courses is ridiculous

look at the following examples

[U]Gym A - Boxing and Wrestling
    coached by an ex pro Boxer who won a world title, and a former commonwealth gold medalist wrestler
    home to various levels of fighters including high level pros who have fought all over the world
    the pros help develop up and coming fighters

Gym B - Thai and BJJ
    coached by an ex MT fighter who has won domestic titles and a BJJ Brown belt
    home to a couple of up and coming pro fighters and a pile of decent amateur/semi pro/class guys
    this gym develops young fighters, who in the future will be professionals making an impact on the UK scene

Gym C - WAKO Certified
    coached by a Karate 2nd Dan who has no grappling experience, but has taken the WAKO course
    taking money out of the pockets of other gyms
    teaching young guys that they can fight, only to see them slaughtered when they enter the cage with no grappling experience

People often disagree with my opinions, but I'm pretty sure that anyone with half a brain will draw the same conclusion as i did... you don't need a dan grade to teach MMA
    Stuart Baxter - Contributing writer - The Fight Lounge