Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: WAKO GB MMA Dept - please read!

I can see the problem, as MMA doesn't have a grading system how do you know who is good/bad/ugly, and who out of those good/bad/ugly should be instructors?

WAKO as a large proffessional body want to get involved and need to set some ground rules for MMA coaches to ensure they are the right people for the job. I guess, coz i dont know, that they presumed most MMA fighters will go to more than one MA instructor from list of MT/KB/K/TKD/Judo/JJ/BJJ to cover their whole fight game, and therefore thought you must have a BB in something to instruct.

What are the other options?

MMA has no grading system (yet) and ability is measured by fight/win ratio, so the best guys should be the top fighters.. this isnt often the case, fighters like to fight not teach.. and being a good fighter doesnt mean you will be a good instructor.

If you went down this route, what about those great instructors who are now getting on a bit (like me), who in their days (before MMA) won loads of comps but are not wanting to jump in the cage with some superfit 20 year old to prove they are a great instructor/coach?

On another forum I suggested setting out an MMA syalbus (mainly for the guys I train, to give them some form of progression) but the issue with this is you could end up with a MMA BB who has never fought in a cage or won a fight.. which makes it seem a bit of a retrograde step.

The only other way I can think of ,measuring it, which follows the way things happen anyway, is that the good fighters will naturally find the good instructors, ("when the student is ready the instructor will appear") so you could base it on the number of clubs wins?

The BB in something is a good pointer, but definately not the right answer.

Suggestions on a postcard to WAKO c/o John Higo?

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog
    I can see the problem, as MMA doesn't have a grading system how do you know who is good/bad/ugly, and who out of those good/bad/ugly should be instructors?
    Does a belt add quality? Does MMA need a grading system?

What I and I think others are coming unstuck with is; to what end will this certify an instructor to teach high level BJJ/MT/Boxing/Wrestling to compliment their coaching in another sport.

And if it isn't high level, what can we expect from these individuals? Is there a system of progression there to advance there skills in that area(s) or is this area left to them?

I feel that unless someone can coach an MMA game or teach me skills that transition to MMA. Then they have failed at the first hurdle anyway. Ultimately they could be certified to the fucking teeth and I would be skeptical of attending an MMA class unless the results as an MMA team were good and their students spoke highly of them. However, if they were a very competent and sucessful coach in a singular sport, I would definately attend specifically for that skillset.

Ladies and Gents within the C.M.A.A. we have come up with our own method, but before I quote it I must point out that after talking the John Higo direct on the phone that what they are 'proposing' is not MMA, as we all know it.

Instead it's WAKO's own version of MMA which includes more rules and safety equipment.

Over the pasy few years we have had many 'Instructors' apply for membership claiming BB in MMA, one even claiming 4th Dan!!!!

Yet when I looked into it they were merely a Freestyle club who have never actually fought but just wanted to 'jump on the band wagon'.

So, having spoken with a few of the C.M.A.A. MMA members we came up with a system to use to weed out these type of applicants in that we simply refer them to what we require and if they can match it then great, if not then they go on their way a good luck to them.

Our criteria can be seen for both coach and grades, for those who wish it, here www.mmacoach.co.uk

Constructive criticism accepted with pleasure ladies and gents, everyone may not agree of course but after many discussions it seemed the fairest way for us, again its there if needed and if not then fine - what we won't be doing however is advertising it in the media etc.

Regards to all

Andy. ;-)
    Last edited by cmaauk; 05-02-2010 at 11:50 AM.
    Andy Morrell
    Cobra Martial Arts Association
    www.cmaauk.com

Do you weight these 10 wins? Could I fight 10 cans, win, and be presented a bb in 'MMA' should I wish to do so?

NO 'Bean' if you read the criteria correctly they must be at pre-arranged well known events and they will be verified by our MMA members, may i suggest you research exactly who they are as you actually train with one of them mate!.
    Andy Morrell
    www.cmaauk.com

Quote Originally Posted by cmaauk View Post
    NO 'Bean' if you read the criteria correctly they must be at pre-arranged well known events and they will be verified by our MMA members, may i suggest you research exactly who they are as you actually train with one of them mate!.
    Train has been a very loose word for me in the last couple of years. Aaron can attest to this.

I see, thanks for the clarification.
    Last edited by bean; 05-02-2010 at 12:49 PM.

No problem at all pal, take care and get your ass back to the club! lol
    Andy Morrell
    www.cmaauk.com

boxingbrit

You tell him Andy!

I think your idea is closer to a realistic model for mma as it is performance based.

Thanks Ian
    Andy Morrell
    www.cmaauk.com

WAKO should just stick to kickboxing, why even try get involved with something that doesnt need an organisation coming in trying to change things that dont need to change which would only lead to segregation and complete watering down of a perfectly good sport! Also no doubt a 'WAKO mma fighter' then wouldnt be allowed to fight under any other banner, competitions or show that WAKO havent given them permission to do much like their fighters cant participate in WKA, ISKA competitions for example or they get kicked out of their squad effectively Which funnily enough has happened to argueably the best kickboxer in many forms this country has got (Michael Page)
    Ninja