Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: WAKO GB MMA Dept - please read!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    It's not being negative, it is indeed constructive criticism.

I think that being able to teach MMA (which means UFC etc style fights in a ring or cage, not a mix of traditional martial arts) requires far more than a dan grade in any TMA. In fact, I don't think a dan grade in a TMA is in anyway necessary and is a silly prerequisite to have. Also, to not require any grappling credentials before qualifiying someone to teach MMA is just ridiculous. (Assuming what cmaauk has said is true).
    Rob, it's not MMA as we all know it - it's WAKOs own version as per my previous post.
    Andy Morrell
    Cobra Martial Arts Association
    www.cmaauk.com

I think that's pretty dishonest then. They will argue about it I'm sure but it's pretty clear what MMA means.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

However you look at if you ask John he will tell you himself.

MMA is what it is and if we alter it any any way it ceases to be MMA at all. The following is a quote from a press release i made to the C.M.A.A. after one of our members told me he had been offered insurnce for MMA. I investigated and these were my findings:

........In January 2010 one of our members contacted us saying that he had been informed that another well known and very large Martial Arts group were stating that their membership now included insurance for sparring / competting in MMA.

We contacted this group direct and after a long telephone conversation found that this is not the case as they had developed their own version of MMA! They had written their own set of rules which included no strikes to the head or back when on the gound and the use of more protective equipment.

This is NOT MMA as most know and practice it. Instead this is Sport Ju-Jitsu, or Knock Down Budo as it is also known, which has always been covered.
    Andy Morrell
    www.cmaauk.com

Quote Originally Posted by cmaauk View Post

Our criteria can be seen for both coach and grades, for those who wish it, here www.mmacoach.co.uk

Constructive criticism accepted with pleasure ladies and gents, everyone may not agree of course but after many discussions it seemed the fairest way for us, again its there if needed and if not then fine - what we won't be doing however is advertising it in the media etc.

Regards to all

Andy. ;-)
    Interesting but why follow the traditional method? Are any of these fighters ever likely to wear a coloured belt? what about all those beginners who havent fought yet? how about a simpler system..

Beginner - Just started
    Intermediate - got the basics starting to get the knowledge
    Advanced - very good working towards first real fight
    Fighter - had first fight
    Advanced fighter - had 10 fights more than 50% wins
    Semi pro fighter - good enough for small purse
    Pro Fighter - what it says on the tin

and an MMA coach is an MMA coach, some will have been fighters some wont, some will have BB some wont, its all down to their ability to get the best out of their fighters, and good fighters will find the good coaches.

Agreed Fighters will 'vote with their feet'.

As for the grade structure yes none will wear belts or even anything to show grade, but as i said in my earlier posts this was the fairest way we came up with after many conversations with MMA clubs within the C.M.A.A.

In our opionion a person must fight to grade, however your suggested method is also viable and should a group decide to use it then it would be their way just as ours is ours and would no doubt be very much welcomed by those who use it.

Thanks for your input
    Andy Morrell
    www.cmaauk.com

IMO this whole thing with a governing body is needed

however it should under no circumstances be a group who want to change the rules of our sport

in my opinion you should not need a balck belt to be a coach, you should however need to display your abilities as a coach

the idea of a sylabus for coaching is a daft one as well, were not learning french here, were learning how to fight, its not "do this do that" kinda sport, we need to be adapting to be able to handle different styles of opponents, and we need to be constantly learning, its not a case of if you know x,y,z you can fight mma

with all due respect to wako... still to kickboxing where you belong!
    Stuart Baxter - Contributing writer - The Fight Lounge

Anyway the debate, goes on, wako are are putting shows and courses on and it works, we wear 6 ounce gloves and do 3x3minrds and provide astepping stone tournament for people looking to put their toes in the water, also if anyone from 45yrs to 55yrs fancy a fight under wako rules l personally am looking for one before the end of the year, l am in my 50's weight 66kg, its so much fun l just want one last one.Any takers.

Quote Originally Posted by johnchigo View Post
    Anyway the debate, goes on, wako are are putting shows and courses on and it works, we wear 6 ounce gloves and do 3x3minrds and provide astepping stone tournament for people looking to put their toes in the water, also if anyone from 45yrs to 55yrs fancy a fight under wako rules l personally am looking for one before the end of the year, l am in my 50's weight 66kg, its so much fun l just want one last one.Any takers.
    Randy Higo will be there for that one!

Nice one boss!!!!!...true warrior!

Chris
    Pro MMA Lightweight Fighter 1-2-0 Team 580 MMA Barnsley