Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Ultimate Knockout Challenge Begins

Resident Hippy Mod CraigSt.Clair's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KidKimura View Post
    The only problem I really have with the concept is the potential bad press and how this will only encourage uneducated 'fans' to remain uneducated.

The rules do sound a bit tricky to enforce, and obviously you will need some spot on refs.

I really hope this works out for you, but I remian firmly on the fence for now.
    That is my main worry, mind you I'm a noboddy
    http://www.facebook.com/craig.st.clair666 ME

"That was how i got my first soapy titwank!
    Listening is cool and shit." BlackdogMMA

Just to clarify. I personally take reffing very seriouslly & I hope my judgement in the past as to who I allow to ref has satisfied this statement. The rules I have presented you with is a rough draft & not yet cast in stone. I just needed to deliver a jist of what we are thinking.
    Putting the rules into practice to debate if they are indeed viable is yet to be concluded. I will call upon the people I will be using to ref this product for thier input, before finalising the rules.

Bad press, what can I say. Who controls what the press say think e,t,c? Obviousslly MMA as yet has not suffered with any bad press! why then is it a forgone conclusion this will be any different or worse?

The word negative pops up a lot lately, I think we can add some more words, like "narrow minded" "Polarised" get a grip lol

i dont like the idea myself, i dont see why you dont just promote CW again as it was.

your connected enough in the mma world to put on good fights and everyone here will be 100% behind it again.

thats my opinion, good luck with it anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun.R. View Post
    i dont like the idea myself, i dont see why you dont just promote CW again as it was.

your connected enough in the mma world to put on good fights and everyone here will be 100% behind it again.

thats my opinion, good luck with it anyway
    Thankyou for your vote of confidence re CW, glad all of a sudden people have decided to pledge thier support 100%, shame better late than never lol.
    Listen I am not sacking CW or MMA, I just need to re group & generate a revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by cagewarriors View Post
    Thankyou for your vote of confidence re CW, glad all of a sudden people have decided to pledge thier support 100%, shame better late than never lol.
    Listen I am not sacking CW or MMA, I just need to re group & generate a revenue.
    Like others I had some reservations about this. However, I have had a bit of a chat with Dougie over this and I respect his reasons for going forward with this. From that conversation, I understand that promoting straightforward MMA isn't commercially viable at the present time. Therefore, if experienced promoters are going to stay in the game until the market improves, they will need to experiment with new formats. I'm therefore prepared to wait and see how it looks in practice.

On that note I'm reasuured to see that a fighter can tap out to strikes and that as soon as s/he clinches or gets guard the fight will be stood up. Therefore it shouldn't look any worse than the GnP we already have as part of MMA
    Any opinions I express on this forum are entirely personal opinions and it should not be assumed that they reflect the official view of any organisations I am connected with

I'd rather see people with the money and experience to put into MMA educate the uneducated fans, rather than dumb it down.

There are just as many people who don't mind contact sports like boxing, kickboxing or indirect contact sports like Rugby who are put off more by the GnP, knees and elbows than they are by the grappling.

personally it seems like stripping some of the more skillful elements out of MMA to pander to the "just bleed" crowd could be very damaging to MMA.

I would think if you really thought there was a case for a simplified, more palatable version of the sport (although I personally don't) you might consider removing some of the more "brutal" elements of the striking and restrict the time allowed for a submission to be applied, ie once the fight goes to the mat a 30 second clock starts. No sub in that time, up they come.

I don't think it needs this sister sport creating at all, but if you did, I think there are better options.

My personal preference is for wrestling styles but one of the reason that pro wrestling evolved as it did was because people who didn't understand it got bored by the technical skills which looked like inaction. As I understand Dougie's idea it's about gettign people through the doors who wouldn't normally come to an MMA show and then 'market' MMA to them to grow the potential market (or something like that)
    Any opinions I express on this forum are entirely personal opinions and it should not be assumed that they reflect the official view of any organisations I am connected with

Quote Originally Posted by AdamM View Post
    I'd rather see people with the money and experience to put into MMA educate the uneducated fans, rather than dumb it down.

There are just as many people who don't mind contact sports like boxing, kickboxing or indirect contact sports like Rugby who are put off more by the GnP, knees and elbows than they are by the grappling.

personally it seems like stripping some of the more skillful elements out of MMA to pander to the "just bleed" crowd could be very damaging to MMA.

I would think if you really thought there was a case for a simplified, more palatable version of the sport (although I personally don't) you might consider removing some of the more "brutal" elements of the striking and restrict the time allowed for a submission to be applied, ie once the fight goes to the mat a 30 second clock starts. No sub in that time, up they come.

I don't think it needs this sister sport creating at all, but if you did, I think there are better options.
    Please don't think for one minute I am not listening nor taking on board your reservations.
    I would dearly love to keep throwing money away on current MMA, but I have little left to squander as it is. I think some of you are clearly deluded as to how much it has cost to come this far, CW's ivestment thus far in 9 years & 35 plus events later is a 7 figure no. Thats not even a fraction of CR's losses which has been mentioned earlier. I think its time for you all to wake up & realise what people like myself have already sacrificed in the name of this sport. Hence why I have so much admiration for those still trying to flogg a dead horse.

It would be interesting to have seen if this idea would have come in for quite so much criticism if it had been a high profile fighter (eg Freeman or Bisping) who had proposed it; rather than a high profile promoter

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Exile View Post
    My personal preference is for wrestling styles but one of the reason that pro wrestling evolved as it did was because people who didn't understand it got bored by the technical skills which looked like inaction. As I understand Dougie's idea it's about gettign people through the doors who wouldn't normally come to an MMA show and then 'market' MMA to them to grow the potential market (or something like that)
    Thankyou Shaulin, Someone else who has the forsight to see outside the box.