Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Changing trends in MMA

Default Changing trends in MMA

Can you guys think of ways that MMA has changed/evolved over the years?

I'm talking of the way fights progress.

Back in the Tito days, pre UFC 40, fighters seemed to want to take their oppoent down and stack them up aginst the fence and smash them up.

Now they seem keen to get their opponent down and keep them away from the fence in order to rain down blows.

I have also noticed that fighters are better at getting back to the feet after a take down and alot of the time using the fence.

So because of the way tactics are now getting countered the game plans are changing.

I have done no research into this and this is probably not written well so I hope I get my point across.

Anyone else?

a cool haircut and funny costume wont get you buy anymore

I think more people are realizing the benefits of training in every form and style. Old school MMA seemed more like a Wrestler vs. Boxer, BBJ vs. Muay Thai, ECT. I think these newer generation/class of talents are more rounded, well balanced fighters.
    "The statement below is true.
    The statement above is false."

tank abbot doesnt smash guys anymore.
    "My whole life is an epic journey man, I mean who else do you know that listens to Enya whilst taking a dump?"

Dinky Ninja
    Paul McVeigh
    Pro Fighter

I never liked stacking guys against the cage. If their head is on it cool facial melt away but all the need to do is get their shoulders and back flat to the cage and they are halfway up.

Started working it a lot when i saw Mike Bisping do it against Rashad Evans. Must have got up of the cage like that about 5 times in my last fight, of course that means i got takendown about 5 times
    MMA Strength, Conditioning and Awesomeness Blog- UPDATED 8/2/11 Random Musings prior to actual content http://maccavelli.wordpress.com/

big nogs face changed dramatically.
    "My whole life is an epic journey man, I mean who else do you know that listens to Enya whilst taking a dump?"

This isnt a point about fighting and how its changed but how long if ever do you think it will be until we see fighters being sponsored by Nike reebok adiddas etc. Do you think these main stream sports brands would attach their name to MMA.

I think the first big brand like that to enter MMA will be RBK they do a lot of boxing stuff so it should only be natural to move into MMA
    For your MMA Fix, Don't Hit the Pit anymore coz its shut

Quote Originally Posted by foxy View Post
    This isnt a point about fighting and how its changed but how long if ever do you think it will be until we see fighters being sponsored by Nike reebok adiddas etc. Do you think these main stream sports brands would attach their name to MMA.
    Yes it won't be far off imo.

I think it's a question of more well rounded fighters. If you look at Tank Abbot for instance, he was just a brawler back in the day...if you look at guys like Mark Coleman (NCAA and Olymics)and Mark Kerr (Div I champ and all american), they had ground skills (American Wrestling) and punching power...The Gracies I think have had the most impact. Everyone now studies BJJ...Back in the day, BJJ was a bit of a mystial art. Rickson was/is just a badass and Royce is much the same. If you look at guys like Iceman, Tito, even Rampage, they were/are all fairly one dimensional. Imaging Chuck, or Tito, or Randy in their prime against Loyoto, or Anderson Silva, or even Rashad. totally different game these days. I think it's a new guard. BJ, GSP, Silva, Machida, all as comfortable on the ground as they are on their feet. The second and third tier guys are all the same...Diaz, Florian, Sanchez, Hardy, Vera etc...The only place where it's still an all out brawl is at heavyweight, and that's just because Brock is so big there is no other way.
    Even the local guys at the top of the game who are not in the UFC, just thinking of the last few really interesting fights, Wallhead vs Mills, Sutherland vs Watson and many others. Today, guys have much greater access to top quality training in multiple disciplines. MMA today is less about the brawl and more about figuring out your opponent in 15 minutes or less.

just my .02 worth.