Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Flow Rolling V's Hard Sparring

Default Flow Rolling V's Hard Sparring

I know that there is a time and place for both..

but when putting things together how often do guys on here 'flow roll'?

What i mean by this is rolling from technique to technique with little resistance..

How often do u spar hard?

In a lead up to a competition is it always hard sparring or simply fine tuning?

Any thoughts appreciated..

Flow rolls need specific partners, so the vast majority of my rolls are proper sparring. I'm not necessarily going hard but my partners nearly always are.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

Normally if im with my usual partners our flow rolls slowly turn into hard rolls without us noticing lol
    Team Rough House - UKs no1 fight team

every roll is a hard spar 100% as it would be in a real comp.

rob,

im blessed, i have two good 'flow rolling' partners at the minute..i think that as regards muscle memory this is the way forward fo me personally..

Predator,

Lol, i know what u mean..i trin with one guy who is exactly the same..

Lee,

we all have our ''go to moves'' for hard sparring and competition..how re u ever going to expand ur game and periodise ur training if u r balls to the wall every training session..just a thought?

Quote Originally Posted by The Natural View Post
    rob,

im blessed, i have two good 'flow rolling' partners at the minute..i think that as regards muscle memory this is the way forward fo me personally..
    Yeah, my problem is all the white and blue belts want to kill me every time we roll!

Have you seen the Glover's travels videos on Youtube? I think it's in episode 1 where they show him flow rolling with Ryan Hall. Awesome stuff.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    Yeah, my problem is all the white and blue belts want to kill me every time we roll!

Have you seen the Glover's travels videos on Youtube? I think it's in episode 1 where they show him flow rolling with Ryan Hall. Awesome stuff.

Ha,ha..i know what u mean..i have been training with these particular guys a few years and we come from the same 'school of thought'..

havent seen video clip dude..any links?

Was it the episode where Jeff Glover is rolling with Carlos Gracie Jr?
    I'm sure it was him. Anyway, yes, I would love to do some flow-rolling,
    in fact it has never occured to me to ask my training partners to do such
    a thing. Even when we agree to go light, we always end up going into a full
    on battle. I guess it takes a good degree of skill on both sides and acceptance.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Meerkatsu's BJJ Blog

Quote Originally Posted by The Natural View Post
    rob,

Predator,

Lol, i know what u mean..i trin with one guy who is exactly the same..

Lee,

we all have our ''go to moves'' for hard sparring and competition..how re u ever going to expand ur game and periodise ur training if u r balls to the wall every training session..just a thought?
    That's one way of looking at it in terms of expanding your game and trying out new moves.

I've heard some wrestler's and BJJ guys talk about it in terms of as a time to make sure your technique doesn't slowly rust over time and also as a numbers game i.e the idea that my guard pass x is better than yours because I've practised it 600 times and you have 400 where in flow rolling you will complete more moves.

Personally, I nearly always do what the instructor says so I never really know when I've improved what exactly its attributable to.

flow rolls all day, better technique when i watch black belts they are so relaxed and flowing you think they're gonna go to sleep sometimes.
    "A boxer is the best predator on land. The Lion, but throw him in the shark tank and he becomes just another meal" Renzo Gracie.