Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cutting weight for comps

Default cutting weight for comps

hi all. I was wondering wether it's worth cutting 5kg by next sunday to get in the under 76 category which is my normal one or fight for the 1st time in the under 82 and be certain to get my now fat a$$ kicked in the higher cat for the first time or not enter at all. Help!

Has anyone done this in bjj before? How was it?
    Last edited by mathematist; 05-11-2009 at 10:13 PM.

I've cut a few kilos before to make the 70kg division, and to be honest its really not worth it.

There's no money involved, you fight straight after weighing in, and you could get tapped in 30 seconds first fight!

Now I just fight my natural weight under 76kg, although I'm usually only around 73kg with a gi. Cutting weight takles all the enjoyment out of a bjj comp imo
    Celtic Pride Martial Arts, Abertillery, Gwent
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
    Thai Boxing
    Mixed Martial Arts

I've always fought in the 82 category weighing in around 79 with my gi on.

For the Euros I'm gonna do 76 though, pretty sure I can make it easily. I'm currently around 76.6 in the morning.

I wouldn't advise cutting though, for the reasons Scott says.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

The idea of weighing in just before a fight woud be enough to make me never want to compete at anything other than my walk around weight.

thanks for that gents but is there a major difference or is a lot of it psychological. Rob, why are you thinking of dropping the weight?

Slightly Bonkers shakus maximus's Avatar

dropping 5 kg in weight over a period of say 4 to 8 weeks is fine
    trying to drop 5kg in a week for a same day weigh is is dangerous
    fight at 82 for this one then look at cutting over a period of time for your next event

I've fought guys who seem to be much bigger than me and done just fine, but you have remember this isn't pro mma, its BJJ. The gi helps a lot, and technique, and stamina, and nerves. Stamina and nerve is something that will be affected by cutting weight, especially in the numbers you mention.

Just get in there at your natural weight and enjoy it, then as shakey says, work on a weight loss(rather than weight cut) program and compete at 76 in the new year.
    Last edited by Scott; 06-11-2009 at 12:25 AM.
    Celtic Pride Martial Arts, Abertillery, Gwent
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
    Thai Boxing
    Mixed Martial Arts

thanks scott. Sound advice. Maybe I'll give it a go and next time, I'll realise nt to indulge in the kebabs so frequently. Thnks again.

I usually fight under 82kg but fought the last twice at under 88kg. Bit of a shock when I jumped on the scales and was actually 92kg!! Managed to get under 88 ok though.

Not a big difference in 88 to 82kg to be honest.

I'm currently at 84kg so will be back to under 82kg for the new year no problem.

stick at what your comfortable at, as Scott said sort your diet out and do some running and the pounds will drop.

Quote Originally Posted by mathematist View Post
    thanks for that gents but is there a major difference or is a lot of it psychological. Rob, why are you thinking of dropping the weight?
    Well, I trained for a pro MMA fight (which didn't happen, opponent pulled out day of the weigh-in) and got down to 75kg pretty easily. So, I thought I may as well go a bit lower for a BJJ comp... just to do it really, just for a challenge.

As it's the Euros I would really like to medal too, so best to get every advantage I can
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/