Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cobrinha Strength and Explosivity Workout

Default Cobrinha Strength and Explosivity Workout

As soon as a student gets serious about competing at Carlson's i try to give them advice about strength training,nutrition,flexibility and cardio.

Many of the students at the gym don't need the advice,they are already well versed in how to be in their best shape.

Others however take the advice and work on it.

There are some though that say "I don't want to lift weights,it'll slow me down", or, "Weight training stunts your growth",or "I will only do bodyweight excersises,i won't lift weights".

Sometimes they are under the impression that the lighter more technical BJJ Champion's just do Jiu Jitsu and a bit of running.

They have been filled with 1970's 'old wives tales' about using resistance training."The muscle turns to fat when you stop training", "I don't want to get big" LOL.

Well here's a few thoughts-

1. Your body doesn't know what creates resisitance-it doesn't know whether its lifting flesh or iron. A kilo of bodyweight is the same as a kilo of steel.

2. Every professional athlete uses resistance training (weights) and it doesn't matter whether they are lifting iron or flesh.They are creating resistance and lifting it.It is the 'manner' in which the resistance is lifted that is the key to how beneficial the training will be to the athlete.

3. Even sports that eschewed 'weight training' because of archaic beliefs and demented old fashioned coaches without any idea of strength training (i.e. Football and boxing) have come of age and now every pro footballer and boxer will use resistance training to build strength.

4. The stronger a muscle,the more explosively it will be able to contract,the secret is training the muscles in multi compound movements to contract together,rather than in isolation like a bodybuilder.

5 Finally, It is of huge benefit to any athlete to be as strong as he/she can be in their given weight class.

For the smaller,technical guys who don't really believe in resistance training,here is Cobrinha showing his workout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hldAXzfLfA

this guy hav nice train but bad supplmen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G61d0feaIg
    Existem bons lutadores que praticam boas lutas, porém existem os melhores lutadores que praticam a melhor luta: JIUJITSU

www.faixarua.co.uk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I do get very confused with all the misinformation out there regarding weights.

I hear people banging on about how being muscular is of little use as your muscles will need more oxygen to feed on. "Don't lift weights and remain lean if you don't want to gass" they say.

They also say similar stuff about lactic acid which is all beyond me tbh.

he no small an technic but i think he is hexplode

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmTEz...eature=related
    Existem bons lutadores que praticam boas lutas, porém existem os melhores lutadores que praticam a melhor luta: JIUJITSU

www.faixarua.co.uk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

no one passe cobrinha guarde in gym since faixa marrom

www.faixarua.co.uk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Iconoclast View Post
    I do get very confused with all the misinformation out there regarding weights.

I hear people banging on about how being muscular is of little use as your muscles will need more oxygen to feed on. "Don't lift weights and remain lean if you don't want to gass" they say.

They also say similar stuff about lactic acid which is all beyond me tbh.
    It's not so much what you lift, but more how you lift it. Take a Dumbell for example:

Bicep Curls = Bad!
    Clean and Press = Good!

Simon = correct.

Faxia Rua = Correct.
    Insert whiny message

Here's Damian Maia with another great example of training for BJJ/MMA.I actually train in phases.This week i was lifting like a Power Lifter,just doing 3 sets of 4 reps on one compound excercise per body part.For instance today i did
    3 Sets of Bench Press (110kg) for 4 reps each set
    3 sets of Weighted wide grip chin ups (20 kg tied to me) for 4 reps each set
    3 sets heavy dumbell shoulder press for 4 reps each set.

This workout took 18 minutes.

But this is a strength gaining week.The previous 8 weeks i've been doing a lot of cardio (sprinting) and the Couture Grapplers weights workout
    which is more about muscular endurance and conditioning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqb0g_TbT5Q
    Last edited by Simon Hayes; 08-11-2009 at 07:16 PM.

Terere and Galvao both trained olympic lifting with the brazilian team i believe.
    Insert whiny message

Quote Originally Posted by SDR View Post
    It's not so much what you lift, but more how you lift it. Take a Dumbell for example:

Bicep Curls = Bad!
    Clean and Press = Good!
    I don't do bicep curls, but why are they bad?