Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking a pro fight - Questions

Default Taking a pro fight - Questions

Hi Guys

Ive been around this fourm for a while now mainly as an observer and havent posted too much.

I have had 3 fights so far 1 Amatuer and 2 Semi-Pro (AMMA rules). Ive fought LHW at Amatuer and Middle and Welter Semi-Pro. All wins.

I have my possible pro debut in the pipeline and was wondering if you guys could help with the following questions.

How heavy (walking around) are pro Welterweights at this lever (pro debut)?

What kind of purse should I expect? I dont do this for the money but I am just curious and want to make sure it will at least cover my travel costs (from Germany). Its a local show so hopefully I should be able to make a fair ammount of the ticket sales.

Finally, How much training does the average figter put in at this level. I am pretty confident with the ammount of training I do but I am looking for something to benchmark against.

Thanks guys.

Paul

Pro Fighter
    self-appointed boss of the forum

Walkaround weigh varies - anything from 2-3k to 10k+ personal preference on cutting. Most guys who walk at 78-79, probably fight LW.

Money... well debut pros take 100-200 most of the time and most domestic fighters are circa 3-500. Ticket deal should be at least 5/ticket sold

A pro fighter should be able to train 2-3 times/day 5-6 days a week.

To be a pro, you MUST be able to put your fight at the front of your priorities. Be capble of sacrificing everything else. If you can't, then you are placing your own limitations on your performance and ultimately your career

Cheers for the response.

Are you taking of a pro rules figher or a fighter who fights professionally? I am assuming pro rules fighter.

When you say 2-3 times a day. Do you mean training sessions I.e Morning Midday and Evening etc, or do you mean just training different things (ie BJJ and Striking individually in one evening for example)?

I work full time and cant really make a lunch time session. Most mornings I do cardio and strength work and then in evening I will usually do. BJJ then MMA or Striking and MMA and quite often all 3 over a weekend.

I am assuming most pro rules fighers have to work as well. Would the majority of them be training 2-3 times a day?

Thanks again.

Pro Fighter

I am talking a pro rules fighter. In fact, I'd say the level needed is rising at AM/SP level these days.

Doesn't have to be three MMA sessions... but yeah, a cardio session, a conditioning session and then an MA session, 5-6 days/week.

Shouldn't your coach be answering this? If he can't... shouldn't you find a coach who can?

Pro Fighter

just to add... your level of commitment and time available should also influence the level you fight at. if you haven't got the time and commitment to train as a pro, then your aren't a pro... stay amateur.

Thanks again.

I dont think my time restraints would cause to much of a problem as I am doing around the number of suggested sessions (and have room for more) while just 'ticking over'.

Im going to really push hard between now and Christmas to see how things go and if all is good I will let the promoter know either way depending on how its all been going.

I have been getting sound support and advice from my coaches. I was just curious to other peoples oppinions / experiences.

As above, RM is the man to take advice from,
    life is life and it varies with jobs, familes and money issues, the way i see it is, any spare time you have you should be training, you really dont want to be going into that cage and doubting your preparation, if your prepared the win is very possible, many guys fail to prepare,

Even knowing that youve put you all into traning and sacrifced alot will give you the mental edge, alot of it is physcology but most of all cardio and skill, you cnt apply skill if youve got no lungs

Scott liddle
    Diet is the key, I cannot stress this enough !!!

Scott Liddle,
    (Is a heavy guy!!)

Urban disturbance ultimate training faciltiy.

How heavy (walking around) are pro Welterweights at this lever (pro debut)?

how long is a piece of string. it all depends on how mcuh you feel you can cutt. soem figthers can cutt larger amounts of weight and feel good whilst some fighters feel like shit off cutting smaller amounts of weight. your body is only really gonig to allow you to cutt 4-5% of your body weight without you feeling any effects during your fight. basically if your a comfortable 77 then dit and try to get down to 74-75 and cutt from there. you shud be testing this out first though otherwise your gonig to shit yourself donig it the first time before your first pro fight plus you won't know how you will feel afterwards.

What kind of purse should I expect?
    250-300 is good

Finally, How much training does the average figter put in at this level.
    how much do you want to win? how good do you want to be? how confident in every situation do you want to be? how much can your body take? do you have any other commitments in your life that may prevent you from getting the most trainnig you can get?

Im realising that this thread has portrayed me as a bit of noob.

Regarding weight I have been cutting weight and putting it on for the past 10 years with kickboxing (+95 to -82) and other forms of martial arts compettion. I walk round comfortably at about 84-85kgs and have made a -77kgs for a same-day weigh in for my last fight on AMMA. This was not too arduous so I think that -77 will be the right weight for me.

The money was just a curious question as I have no idea what to expect. Nor does that really matter, My job pays for my lifestyle, I just do this because I have the desire to compete and to test myself.

Training has never really been a problem. My work is pretty flexible and I am more than prepared to put the hours of work in.

Thanks all for the feedback, appreciated.

Pro Fighter
    Chris Garry

Twice a day is enough, no need to ever train 3 seperate training sessions.

Good luck with this Paul its been a while since we trained together but if youre matched correctly I see no reason why you wouldnt wreck the majority of first time pros mate. Jus pick the shows you fight on wisely to begin with. And thoroughly research your potential opponent before aggreeing to a fight, even if he has only had 1 or no fights at all.
    Last edited by Chris G; 13-11-2009 at 03:46 PM.
    Dont be surprised when they quit; be surprised when they dont!!